Friday, November 14, 2008

When you don't know what to say...

Maybe you've noticed I've not been so blog happy this week...maybe not. I have had a few of the roughest weeks (months??) in a long time. Like, not just rough--more like the lowest of lows. And I have tried to kick myself out of it...tried to push my way through the dark feelings. But in the meantime, I really haven't known what to say.

I have gone back and forth about how much I put online...how open I am...how open I should be. The past few weeks I have had some really rude annonymous comments that crushed my spirit and made me wonder if I should even blog anymore. But because they were annonymous, it's hard now to know who to trust now...

Was it someone I thought was a friend? Was it a random stranger?

Guess it doesn't matter now. But those hurt feelings are still there...

The stress of moving and everything behind that, and life in general has felt overwhelming. But to put out how I feel every day like I probably would have in the past just seems to make me more vulnerable...less confident.

Just need to find a middle ground again--and keep believing the world is really a nice place.

And so some happy thoughts...

I took the kids to a place I found here called Playground World. It's really a store that sells all sorts of toys and play systems, swings, playhouses, etc. They open their doors a few times a week to let kids come play for FREE! YEAH!!! I am so excited about this--the kids had a blast!






And after a really rough day, I went "shopping" with my friend Caroline. We hit up a craft store close by while Brandon watched all the kids. When we got there we saw they were having a great Halloween clearance with a grab bag deal--all the signs said 50%-75% off or fill a LARGE bag for $10.00. So, she put a few things in her bag and we kept on wandering through the store.
We then realized all of the fall decor was on clearance as well--so she got some more things and told me to fill the bag with my "finds" too...
After packing it as full as we could, we went to check out. The cashier asked us if our stuff was from up front (where the Halloween things were from). We TOLD HER we had gotten things from the other place too, but the signs were all the same clearance prices--she gave us "the look" and said okay. We were not trying to do anything wrong, honest! It wasn't until we were walking out that we realized the "GRAB BAG" was ONLY for the few bins of Halloween stuff and we walked away with TONS of fall goodies that weren't originally included! The cashier knew this too--hence "the look"...but she sent our stuff through anyway.
We laughed so hard walking out with our $100+ in goodies...for $10. :) I tried to pay, but she insisted that we had practically ROBBED the store already--and her stuff was WAY worth the $10 alone...
So, for free, here were my super finds!
--long "garland"/stars that I plan on using all year!

Cute metal spiderweb for next Halloween...notice the cutesie little spider at the bottom



A pumpkin candle holder (well, 2....the jackolantern and the wire pumpkin)


And this cute set of glass candle holders (I know, lots of candle holders...) I plan on using these in my bedroom. The colors were perfect! (sorry about the blurry pic--don't know what I did wrong!) :)



Anyway, not too shabby, I must say! I am excited to decorate our new place and feel like we are home again...it's rough living in a transition zone for so long. :)
Speaking of new home...we are hopefully moving next weekend. HOPING. If all things go according to the plan. :) Wait, does it ever work that way???
Off to pack more boxes...

35 comments:

Lisa said...

So sorry for the down days - I HATE it when people leave rude comments - seriously, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!!
One thing I think you need to think about is Why do you blog? Who do you blog for? Do you blog for yourself - your own journaling? Or are you doing it for your readers? Personally, I do it for myself first, readers second. And I don't get into a lot of real personal/emotional stuff - but that is how I am. You are a much more open/expressive person by nature. I think the main key is just finding a balance that you are happy with.

Ryan said...

Nice finds! I love getting bargains. Don't let rude comments get you down- if they couldn't even have the *balls* to post who they were then they aren't even worth the time you put in thinking about it. I agree with Lisa- figure out why you post and then go from there.

George and Teri said...

Rachel..dont let rude people get you down. Your blog is wonderful and the nice thing about it is you are honest in all you write. I think what you write is funny, real and what really goes on in your day to day life with 3 small children, and your pictures are beautiful. Hang in there with the move...we just moved too and it was hard but worth it when we got into our new house. I think we all look forward to your new posts! Oh and p.s. great finds at the craft store!

Jake & Lisa Danes said...

I am so sorry that you are having a down time. I went through a down spell for a while this past summer. I wasn't feeling the spirit or the saviors love...at least I thought that I couldn't. It took a renewed fire in my heart to search scriptures and pray with all my heart. And looking at my life and seeing the blessing and just being greatful. That is what helped me. I hope that this helps you!

Carly said...

Bummer on having a down week or 2 Rachel! And super bummer on those anonymous comments. Just brush them off- your blog helps out so many people. Think about the people who you've never met who read your blog daily for that added inspiration, the people who knew nothing of the gospel and have found out about it through your example, and people like me who find the comfort that motherhood really is a blessing.
You're not blogging for the comments, at least you really shouldn't be, you should be blogging for yourself. If it would make you more comfortable, I'd go private. I have never regretted going private and I feel really good about that decision- now I don't have to guard what I say about who we are, where we are, etc. And I feel like it's worth it not to have those mean people and spammers getting into my blog.
You can't let those dumb people affect you, they are just rude and obviously don't have the guts to even let you know who they are in the first place. I'd ignore them and move on- I know your blog makes you happy, you've devoted too much time to keeping this journal about your family and your photography to let it go to the wayside because of some anonymous comments that should never have been made.
Stay close to the scriptures and keep praying, Rachel. We aren't perfect beings- we have those down days for a reason, because we're human. The Savior is there to help us out of them, I really believe that.

Good luck, we all love you and support you! Good luck with your move!

Stephanie said...

I'm so sorry that you're feeling so low. I don't know if you've noticed the same blog-less-ness on my blog as well - I'm going through some really rough stuff as well, and have a hard time blogging when things get like this. I think I only keep up with my food blog because I'm so unpersonal on that and no one expects lots of details of my life.

Anyway, know that you're not alone, and that you are very loved.

Jill said...

I say POOP on those people! You should blog about whatever you want to... it's YOUR blog. If people don't think you should be writing about something in particular, they don't have to read it! But the rest of us enjoy what you write and love your perspective on life. Don't change a THING!

lynsey said...

i agree with everyone else...your blog cheers me up & give me a ton of ideas on how to be a better mom & a better person.

i'm pretty open on my blog too & sometimes i worry about what others think but i like what lisa said, who do i do it for? but honestly i would still have my feelings hurt if i got some rude anonymous comments too.

hang in there sister, we love ya! and best of luck with the moving and all that.

princess jen said...

Sorry some rude people are making this tough time even more difficult for you. I know how stressful moving is and when you add young kids to the mix, it's that much more difficult. Right now I'm reading "Don't sweat the small stuff." It's in small chapters and I try to read one each morning and focus on that goal for the day. It's helped me a lot. Good luck!!

Kemi said...

I'm sorry someone left you rude comments that made you sad. I get that occasionally on my blog too, and it's hard to get past.

I am SO envious of your super finds! That star garland is my favorite.

Hope this week is better, and I especially hope the move goes according to schedule.

Katy said...

Wow, cool finds! I always wanna find those sort of sales, since paying full price for seasonal stuff is just ridiculous!! (I love that garland, it's so awesome!)
I've been missin' you... don't know if I've said it before, but you put so much spark and life into blogging and honestly, you motivate me to become a better mom, wife, woman... that's no joke!


now, here's a little something for your "anonymous commenter":

"BACK OFF. Do you have nothing better to do with your life? Do you feel like your negativity is providing ANYONE with ANYTHING at all?! Well, do yourself a favor and all the rest of us and STOP reading the blog. Stop commenting if you don't have something nice to say."

Dez said...

Hey Rachel, to join in with the others, PLEASE keep blogging! I love your openness and sense of humor, I think you remind us all to appreciate the little things in life and not to take ourselves too seriously. I think if everyone was more open, we wouldn't feel as alone and insecure,at least I wouldn't. I appreciate knowing that there are other people out there just trying to do their best and be good moms despite how "imperfect" we all feel. Hope things get better and that your lows turn into highs. I think they eventually always do, but I know it is tough to stick it out until then!

Kritta22 said...

Hey girlie! I heart you! I heart you bunches. I wish we could have gone shopping together! Awesome trying to steal things! You go girl! (You know I'm kidding.)
See all these chicas here love you. You could always go private or not allow anon comments. If you go private, keep me!

Cassie and Mark said...

I love the cute decorations you found! Also, I'm so sorry about the rude comments people have been leaving! It frustrates me that people are mean sometimes, and I agree with many of the comments that have already been said. I'm all about going private or not allowing annonymous comments. You're great!

CissaLynn said...

Hey girl! I am very sorry to hear that someone left you a rude comment! I agree w/everyone else that "whoever this rude person is" - if they don't have the nerve to say who they are - that is pretty wimpy!!!! And.....their opinion is pretty pointless!!!! Look at all the rest of us who love you!!!!! We far outweight any "negative" and "anonymous" people who, btw, are too scared to say who they are!!!! :))

Your blog inspires me and helps me not feel so alone at times!!! Keep blogging, girl!!! You help so many of us!! And.......thank you for being so honest (I tend to put everything out there, too). :))
Have a good weekend! :))

Doug and Mallena said...

I just want to ditto what ever one else has said. I can't fathom that someone would feel ok about leaving a negative comment, but to leave it anonymously doesn't help the situation. It's easy to say, "brush it off, but it's much harder to do. I hope that you'll be able to let go soon and get back to not worrying about what people say. I love that you're open and honest. If you just blogged about the good stuff, we'd all be jealous that your life is so easy while we're going through trials. I think we'd all stop reading at that point. :)

If you figure out who sent you the nasty notes, let me know, maybe my brother-in-law has some computer virus' we can send them. :)

Good luck with the move. Our truck arrives in four weeks. I haven't even made a dent in all our junk. If I had empty boxes to fill I wouldn't feel so stressed, but since I don't have anything packed, and nothing to pack with---it makes life a little more stressful. :) Oh well, somehow it will all come together.

Hugs and Smooches!

Melinda said...

Such cool things! I love that store/playground. And your deals at the craft store (okay, STEALS, literally) blow me away. So neat! I want to know who's beating you up, too. You are too cool to get antagonized on the internet. Oh, and your question about us having visiting plans? Not this year, but maybe after taxes early next year, if I can get Aaron to swing it. I'd LOVE to come visit and have our kids play at all your cool finds there!

Laura said...

We're dealing with a case of the blues at our place too. It's never fun, and I don't think the weather is helping much.

Please let me know if you need help with anything. Moving can be so hectic.

Jenny and Travis said...

Ugh, I hate it when people say rude things! I don't think we always realize how much the things we say affect other people. I'm so sorry you've felt down lately; I wish we were still there, so we could help you pack, eat ice cream, mess around with pictures, and just TALK. I hope you feel better soon. --Jenny

stephanie and sean said...

rachel, there are so many who adore you and hang of your every word. your candor, loveliness, and openness makes me feel validated, comforted, and enlightened. I don't feel so alone in my loneliness, sadness, stressed-outness because you are so willing to share in it with me. there will always be ugly people who threaten to make our world gloomier, our lives duller, our feelings more tender ... it's difficult to disregard those people ... especially if they might be trusted friends (i have such a hard time with criticism, indifference, confrontation) ... but listen to the people who love you, who live for you, who cherish you. you are SO loved, and your beautifully honest blog is valued and needed :)

jmholloway said...

Like so many have said already, I am sorry for the negarive comments you have recieved. It is so hard to let them roll off our backs though. I hope you know that you are loved by so many people and it would be tragic if you stopped blogging. I wish that I lived closer so I could help you. Moving is the pits. I love you Rachel and pray your heart will be lifted soon.

Mindi :)

Julie N. said...

Hey, I need to go to those places. They look great. Where are they? And let me know if I can help you out with anything. Seriously, I would love to watch your kiddos while you pack or take a break. And focus on all the wonderful comments you always have tons of on your blog. You're awesome!

Our Little Family said...

I am so sorry someone said something rude! I LOVE YOU BLOG! You were one of the reasons I started blogging! I loved yours and I wanted to start as a fun way to record our memories! Don't let SOME RUDE person stop you, you are a great blogger! :)I WOULD MISS reading your posts!

Mike Hiatt said...

Once again people who don't really know you have disrupted your life. You have so many who love you for you and appreciate your insights. Keep things going for yourself, your friends who love to know what's happening in your life, and your family who will appreciate your record keeping. I love you.
Dad

Mick and Tiff said...

I am sorry you are having a hard time. I do enjoy reading your blog (even when I don't comment to often) and would like to continue so keep it up. I am sorry someone did that to you. I say keep writing exactly like you do. Like others have said, it is your blog so you get to write exactly what you want.

Katie said...

Sorry about all the rude comments! I think there is a way to NOT allow anonymous comments on your blog. You might want to change that!
Anyway, I LOVE the new finds, especially that garland...ADORABLE! Good luck with your move!

Lauren and Tyson Fiala said...

I'm sorry you have been having a hard time lately. You did find some super cute Halloween decorations! And that indoor playground looks awesome. I think I will need to take Ellie there this winter.

Rachel Chick said...

Sorry for the downers, chica! I don't really understand what possess someone to feel the need to try to hurt someone else. But, regardless, I love reading your blog. I think that you are a wonderful writer and often when I am looking through one of your posts, Nels will walk by, stop, and comment on how gorgeous your pictures are. Truly, Rachel. You have so many incredible talents! Speaking of which, next time you come out this direction to visit family, I'd love for you to take some pictures for us! That would be so much fun! Good luck with the move. I hate things being drawn out. I like to make a decision and immediately make it happen, so I feel for you! I hate living in transition. --- But I'm sure that the Lord has something for us to learn doing so. Happy waiting! :)

campblondie said...

I've been out of the loop for quite some time, and am so sorry to hear it's been such a rough go of it lately. Good luck.

The Mork Family said...

I'm sorry to hear that someone has been leaving you rude comments. Personally, I love your blog and thats why I continue reading it!! Your hilarious and to see that there is another mom out there going through the same stuff I go through and still manages to make it out alive... gives me hope!! LOL :)

Michelle said...

You can set it to not allow anonymous comments, if it makes you feel safer... But that bites that one or two people have the power to ruin someone's day! You are who you are, and those of us who are not "anonymous" love you plenty!!!!!!!

Love the bargains! That's hilarious that she let you guys walk out with all that stuff, since she could have told you what the deal was supposed to be. Oh well!

Aspen Inn said...

Rachel, I look at your blog occasionally... I was a year younger than you in schoolat RHS. I come to your blog when I am stuggling as a mommy becuase your honesty reminds me we all occasionally have a tough day and you always seem to handle it so well - and even if you don't, you sure make it sound good!! So sorry for your down days. I really think you are an awesome mom!
Karissa

The life of Jayne said...

WOW, you sure found some nice stuff for a GREAT PRICE!! You always get good deals!! And that indoor playground looks fun!!

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

Do you want me to kick anyone's bottom? I totally can. :o)

There was a play area in Phily identical to this. I would take the little kids I nannied for there. I Loved it! (wonder if there is one in Columbus....)

Marnie said...

Rachel,
I was so sad when I read your post and how discouraged you were feeling from annon. comments. I sometimes wonder how people can just be so cruel! I think you are an amazing person/mom and I love your blog. I love how real and matter of fact you are. You tell like it is honey! :)

I find that I am sometimes a bit guarded on my blog and wish that I could be little more open in the things I post about. Thanks for being so brave! I have loved getting to know you "again" after all of these years through blogging. Keep it up girl!

Love,
Marnie