Saturday, November 15, 2008

Plan Unknown

Just a quick note to start...thank you to all of you who left sweet notes of encouragement on yesterday's post. It really meant a lot to me...

in the past few days I finally feel like I am feeling much more peace about things...life in general really. Just needed to talk and get a little bit of needed help to figure out what was going on with me and how I can make the best of my life. Really I think that is the ultimate goal in almost ALL our lives. To be the best person we can be no matter what others think or say, and no matter what stresses are weighing us down. I have really finally felt HOPE again. :) That's a good feeling...

Am praying the HOPE I feel will hold on and get me through this week. We are working with Operation PLAN UNKNOWN.

I am not good at this.

When we moved out here to Ohio, I had everything arranged, plans for utility hookup, U-Haul, etc as far in advance as possible. I like things to be arranged...I like a backup plan for a backup plan.

But this time, we don't really even have a plan for a backup plan to stand behind.

It's kind of like having a baby. You know it's gonna happen. But you just don't know the date. Well, unless you're like me and you have been induced all three times you had a baby. :) The logistics of our move are so complex--and it's hard to not get stressed about timelines. We are supposed to be out by next weekend. But our new house isn't finished yet--and when it IS, it has to have an inspection before we can move IN. And if any little tiny part of the house fails to meet the correct code, we have to reschedule an inspection. All of this has to somehow come together in the next 5 days.

And it will.

Right???

But until then, operation Plan Unknown is to try to freeze meals to eat for the next 5-6 days and pack our house like crazy...and then clean like there were never 3 small children living here. I think that will take 5 days in and of itself.

And hopefully, next Saturday we will find ourself with a loaded truck ready to move into our new place...ready to lock the kids in the basement I have been dreaming of for so long. :)

On the subject of packing...me and Brandon take a very different approach.

Me: pack absolutely everything we WON'T USE before we move. Pack the rest the night before.
Brandon: pack anything in the room, just so it isn't there anymore.

I realized this when he asked me several times (while I was in the middle of something) about a particular box in our room. It had become the catch-all...I admit. I was at fault for this one. But he was SO anxious to get it out. So I finally said whatever and to just take it out--

Been wondering where all my dirty clothes went...:) Found them today in an open box in the garage while I was taking another box out that he had packed that included the IRON. Tomorrow is church. Tomorrow we might look at little homeless.

But thank you Brandon for packing like a pro! You really helped get stuff out of here and it feels like a lighter load already! :)

Speaking of loads, I have about 5 of those in the form of laundry spilling off of my couch and waiting for me to fold them...

Night.

14 comments:

Kristen said...

Glad that you are feeling a little better. We missed something about you guys moving? Are you building your own home? or just renting a new home?

Stephanie said...

Jeff and I have different approaches as well. Mine is like yours - pack everything we won't absolutely need (once I get off my duff and actually start packing). His is, "Do we have to pack all this now? We're not moving for two more weeks." My plan is to live like hermits until we move, so there's less last-minute rush. He wants to live like normal, and is a bit sad that we have so much stuff packed away that we can't use for two weeks. Fun stuff, huh? :-)

Kritta22 said...

I wish I was there to help packing or watch the kids.
Chris and I haven't moved yet together. We moved in together and I did it all cuz he was at work in the air force. This last time, he did it all cuz I was 7 months prego. This February should be interesting!!

Katy said...

Hope is a good feeling, I'm sending you ALL my love right now!

Oh boy... bless you and your family during this move... I wish whole-heartedly that I were there to take some of the load off (in fact, i'd take a load or two of laundry- I LIKE doing laundry!)

AprilF said...

Moving is so stressful already- sounds like you have an even more stressful one. You definitely deserve some pampering after that so get yourself a pedicure!

The Wyler Family said...

crazy times! will you need my boxes or do you think you have enough? i can watch your kids one morning this week. let me know when. good luck with this next adventure!

Mary said...

You'll get through this! Really you will. Packing and moving makes me so emotional and really wears me down. I'm STILL unpacking and sorting. Hang in there. I wish I lived closer to take the kiddos off your hands for a bit, they'd certainly have a blast with my small herd.

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

breathe in, breath out, breathe in, breathe out.....
chant: this to shall pass...
repeat as many times as necessary.
go to Origins and get a product called Peace of Mind. You'll LOVE IT. Have the people at Origins do a demo and you'll fall in love! (this is one of my favorite products!)

http://www.origins.com/templates/products/supercat.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY4783

You'll be okay! I wish I were a little closer to you and I could take your kiddos!

Doug and Mallena said...

Good luck with the move. I've got a lame husband so he hasn't been much good for anything. :) I'm just in dire need of boxes--that's my problem. It seems like it's always something. I hope your move goes well. I'm going to miss you while your internet is down. Hopefully you'll be up and running very quickly. We'll keep you in our prayers that everything will work during those 5 days.

The life of Jayne said...

Good luck with everything w/ the move!

Ryann said...

Man, good luck with the move! I hate moving and packing and unpacking. I really hope it all comes together for you and that all goes well this week for you guys!

blair and maisy said...

Hope everything goes smoothly with the move!

Michelle said...

Moving is always a touch and go sort of thing. I am like you and want to know what will happen when. When I had Nathan, I had a babysitter lined up, and another one in case the first wasn't home when I needed her! I considered a 3rd backup, but that seemed a little silly. :-)

I like to pack away things like books, knick knacks, seasonal clothes we aren't using... basically stuff we aren't going to kick ourselves for packing it. Mark, luckily, is mostly the same as me. (unless it's packing for a short trip...) I have found that the organized packing means less chaos when you get to the new place and have to get it all out of the boxes. That's the hard part anyway, why not make it easier!

I hope everything goes well, and falls into place for you. Lots of prayers, huh?

Anonymous said...

You can totally do this! Take it one day at a time, one task at a time. One more week...!!! Still wishing for that hot coco, thanks for the hug!