Saturday, November 29, 2008

When the dust settles and the boxes are cleared out...

This picture is the dining room where we ate Thankgiving. Notable not only for the beautiful furnishings and impecable decorating taste, but for the lack of boxes spread throughout.
At our house, the dust is still flyin' and the boxes are still scattered! They've acted as forts, stools, and toy cars for some very happy campers.
I think we're getting there...to that point of normal. To feeling like we're HOME. Slowly, but surely. In the meantime, there's this:


And this is a sneaky little guy who found a mirror in Jenna's closet. :) Just throwing this one in for fun...
I have had so much to write over the past few days, but just haven't had the chance. I've hardly read any blogs--so sorry for my absense from your comment boxes!! I have practically fallen in bed every night, EXHAUSTED from working, cleaning, unpacking...and then getting up at 5:30 or 6:00 a.m. with the kids every morning. To make life more complicated, we are STILL trying to finish cleaning our old house. I had help one of the days, which was SO nice. But aside from that it's just been me. And it's pretty slow going when it's one person tackling one HOUSE. I think it has made things really emotionally draining...it's like I can't just move on and get my new house settled because I still have so much to do at my old one. And with so much to do at my NEW house, I am left to wonder how to juggle everything. Brandon has been hitting the books hard in preparation for his finals, and that means it's me and the kids alone again. Alone, and tackling all we have to do at both houses.
It's enough to make me want to...scream? Cry? Laugh? Go to sleep for 3 days straight? :)
However stressful, I am loving how it is coming together here! The playroom is HEAVEN, my kitchen is "cozy", and I am so glad to be getting organized again. Am going to work on curtains for the living room this week and I am SOOOO excited about how rich and warm they make the room feel.
Sigh. But now, I am beat. And my brain is not thinking straight.
So I will go. Before I say a bunch of fluff and stuff that makes no sense. :)
Night.

14 comments:

Our Little Family said...

I bet tackling all that by yourself is SO draining! I know when boxes are everywhere all you want to do is get them unpacked ASAP, but maybe try taking it slow so you don't get overwhelmed!?

GOOD LUCK, I wish we could be there to help!

Katy said...

Dizzy dizzy! I wish I were there to help you out too. The first pic of the Thanksgiving dinner table is so beautiful... I thought it was a Pottery Barn photo! Very impressive! I cannot WAIT to see your new home all put together with your touches-- please indulge us with photos when it's all said and done!!! Happy Days to come

blair and maisy said...

You poor thing. But your new house looks super nice!

Jake & Lisa Danes said...

I feel for you. Moving is such a pain! I was so glad that we bought a house and we plan on living here for a long while. I haved moved tons all of my life and I am just thankful to get to settle down for a while! Good luck to you!

princess jen said...

Good luck getting all that done. You are super woman!!

Melinda said...

Sorry you have to be so alone and drained for so much of this. But you seem really upbeat about it and I'm glad. Cute pictures of the kids and snitches of the house.

Kathy Whittle said...

I wish I lived close enough to come help you! I'm excited to see pictures of your new house when you get a chance to post them. For now, I hope you are able to get a little needed rest here and there. Hang in there!

Angela said...

Yikes moving is not one of my favorite things...glad to see you are on the downhill side of things! It will all be over soon! oh and I love the picture of Spencer!!

Carly said...

Yay for being home! What a cute picture with the mirror. You make cute kids, rachel!

Marnie said...

Rachel,
I am sending you peaceful, happy, and energizing unpacking and home organizing vibes! It is such a process, but it sounds as though this was a really good move for your family. Best of luck! :)

Doug and Mallena said...

Sounds like life is a little crazy right now. At least all of this should be done before Christmas, right? :) I can't believe it's already December! Good luck with finishing things up. You'll be nice and settled by the time we start unpacking. :) How's that for a happy thought?

stephanie and sean said...

ooo i wish i was closer so that we can tackle this together!!! you are a wonder woman. sure you don't feel that way but just look at what you're doing! at what you're accomplishing? where are your visiting teachers!?! they should have your back on this!!! I can't wait to see your new home with all of your finishing touches! you are so in my prayers :) (hug hug hug)

Jessica said...

I just cry when I have times in my life like that. So much to do, only you to do it and children to take care of too! I'll pray for you!

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

Wow, I love that your living room has so much light in it!! Wonderful!

Sorry you have so many boxes to pack by yourself. I remember when Chip was in school I was a single person also. It's no fun.

I am totally down with Thanksgiving next year! That sounds like it would be a blast. Chip could get his carve-thing on, we could eat happily and together, kids will be entertained with other friends to play with... it'll be great!