A letter to my children on our last night in this house (okay, hoping this really IS our last night here so we can get this move GOING!)
Today, as we sat in church, I watched each of you. I realized how much you have grown--every day. It caused me to reflect on how much of that growing has taken place in our little house...the house that has been our home for the past year and a half.
This is the place, Jenna, where you were potty trained. This is where you got your first bike and ran and played in the backyard so free and full of life. And this is where you made you secret magical garden in the small space between the house and the fence. This is the house with the attic you LOVED to climb into every chance you got. And this is the house where the light reflected so brightly through your big bedroom window that your pink curtains really made the ROOM look pink. You LOVED your "pink" room.
And my sweet Kaden. This house is where you taught me about true babyproofing, and where I cleaned up way too many accidents dealing with you and poop (and flour, and chocolate, and corn meal, and syrup, and permanent marker). :) And this is where you got your first big boy bed. This home is where you put on your first real church suit--you looked so handsome! And this is where you played with cars and hauled your toys to hide in every nook and cranny. This place is where you spoke your first word. And this is the house, Kaden, where you turned from a baby to a toddler, and then instantly into a little boy.
And I certainly can't forget my little Spencer. This, Spencer is the house where you came home from the hospital to meet your siblings. This is the only house you have known--the one where you learned to walk and eat and sleep. The one where you know your way around. This house is the one where you first found shelter in the kitchen cabinets, waiting patiently for the kids to find you so you could shriek and giggle when they laughed at you. This is the home you have filled with your laughter and cooing and where you totally stole our hearts forever.
I remember when we came and saw this house for the first time. It was April and we were on our way to the airport to fly back to Idaho after daddy was accepted to school here. It was a sunny day--and beautiful spring day. Everything inside felt so bright and cheery. I could picture you each in here, your beds in their rooms and your toys out to play. And then I saw the backyard--it was love at first sight. I knew this was the yard that we could fill with FUN. And we did. This was the right house for us, even for the short time we have lived here.
I know we will have many more houses in life. We will move on to different stages of life and have different needs each time. But I will always hold dear all the memories we made while we lived in this home. The prayers that were said, sings that were sang, tears that were shed, tantrums that were thrown, love that was shared.
Because those memories, and this home are part of your lives...OUR lives. Forever.
16 comments:
Writer Rachel, I enjoyed reading your sweet letters to your kids. That was a great way to keep sake your memories in this house.
now into a now house, excuse me "remodeled" house :) It will be lovely and wonderful.
Wow. What an amazing tribute to your sweet home. I'm totally crying all over my keyboard as I type this. Here's to many more memories in your new home.
Here's to some new memories.
P.S. I always like to leave a small scripture penciled in a small place on the wall of my "past" houses as a way to bless the new people.
What a beautiful post! It's so crazy how much house can mean. You don't realize it until you are leaving. On to new adventures family!
I loved your letter to you little ones. It is so sweet! I felt the same way when I had to move. I was really more upset that the house we lived in was the only one they knew and I felt that I was betraying our home for something new and different. I hope your move goes smoothly and like others have said, Here's to new memories. And may they be just as fulfilling as the one you have from this home!
so sweet! best of luck with the move and the new place...hope it has the wonderful memories that this home has had for you.
Thanks for putting into words what I've been feeling about our move. Well, with different kids of course. It's nice to be moving on, but it's hard to let go of the physical things that tie us to our memories.
very sweet reflection. keep writing letters to your kids. you have no idea what an impact they can have. my dad has always written me letters and they are some of my most prized possessions.
Aw, that is the sweetest post! I think I might do that in the scrapbook I have of the different places that we've lived! So many memories!!! Can't wait to see you and meet sweet Spencer! I can't believe how much Kaden and Jenna have grown since I last saw them! CRAZY!!! =)
What a sweet letter. It is fun to have them grow up, but fun to keep them small.
What a great idea! It's a mini journal. Just make sure you have a picture of the house for each of them so they can associate this awesome letter with the place.
You say it just right. This is such a great letter and idea... I'll have to remember this! You've collected some beautiful memories-- can't wait for the ones to come!
Did you cry when you wrote this?
Because I totally cried when I read it.
You even make those of us who don't even KNOW you cry from your heartfelt tribute. You are amazing. Don't ever forget that. You are so easily able to say what I think all of us are thinking or have thought at one time or another in our lives. Thank you for including us in your life. When I grow up, I want to be like you.
This post totally wrenched my heart! I know what it's like to leave those warm, comfortable walls that hold so many precious memories and start over new. I'm so excited for you, but also want you to know that if you get "homesick", give me a ring and we can swap moving stories.
This made me tear up. Very sweet. I love it. Very dear.
BTW, I do not recommend getting fish and for that matter, not a Nemo fish. Too hard with saltwater. Connor has put everything in the tank and more...yesterday it was diaper wipes. The poor fish!
Post a Comment