Thursday, November 6, 2008

A few good things...

After my day yesterday I was trying to think about some really good things...needin' to count some blessings.



So here goes:



--As much as I hated the time change at first, it has been surprisingly HELPFUL. While we had a couple 5 a.m. mornings at first, things have kind of settled down and we've moved wakeup time to about 6:30 or 7:00 a.m. But the best part of this time change has been that ALL the kids take naps again--all at the same time! Even Jenna, who had been showing signs of giving it up all together. And they have all been going to bed without any problem at 7:30. So, we're back where we want to be. It's been pretty nice after all...

(now, do not think my sleep schedule life is perfect...it is quite flawed right now. Spencer has decided to serenade us with his screams at approximately 11:30 p.m. and 3:15 a.m. almost every night. Seriously, like clockwork. It's incredible how predictable it is! We're trying to figure out how to put a stop to this one quick!)



--The lowest gas in my area is $1.85. Holy cow. How long has it been since the digits were THAT low? Lovin' this...really loving this!



--Brandon has been home early every day this week. Can I just say RELIEF? Of all weeks to come home a little early, this is probably the one I needed it the most. Now to gear up for finals week and moving in the next few weeks when he really won't be around...



--We have been in the low 70's almost all week! HALLELUJAH! Unfortunately, we will be meeting up with a cold front tomorrow...but the sunshine was HEAVEN while it lasted!



--I found some really nice shelving on the treelawn this week. I am trying to hard to collect all the shelves I can get for our new basement and food storage, and to not spend any money was GREAT!



--After the day I had yesterday, my kids are still alive! :) jk There were seriously some moments though....and today was a much better day. At least I felt better as a parent.



I am trying really hard to push myself out of the slump I have been in...trying to push myself to get out and about, to think less of myself and to be with my kids and have many happy moments instead of letting life get to me like it has lately. I don't know why I go through this roller coaster sometimes. I know there is a lot going on right now. I just don't feel justified feeling overwhelmed and quite frankly depressed sometimes. I look back on my blog and see so many wonderful things that have filled our lives, and I just long for that again right now. I MISS doing our story and project each day, and I miss always being on the go always doing things with the kids. I think I have felt like I lacking that JOY that I felt so much previously.



Blah, blah....enough of that. Just need to snap out of the fog I have been in and get back to where I want to be...



And being grateful is a good start...



Tonight I am.



Tonight I am grateful to be healthy. Grateful to have a family. Grateful for my snuggly kids...and really grateful for my husband who is so understanding right now.



And really, $1.85 per gallon? How can I not be grateful for THAT?? :)

21 comments:

Mike Hiatt said...

What a handsome young man. I love your alphabet story. That needs to be printed. You have some beautiful pictures. Fall is my favorite time of the year for that reason. Thank you for sharing.

AprilF said...

1.85?? Really!! That's awesome! I've been in a funk lately too so I can commiserate with you on that one.

CissaLynn said...

Hi girl!!!! :)

That squirrel pic you got is soooooo cool!!!!
The pic of Kaden is soooooo cute!!!!! :)) He is adorable!!!

You will come out of your funk in time! We have all been there! I know how you feel (I was there last week)! I will say a prayer for you!!! Just know that it is normal to have these days and you are not alone and we love you!!!! :))
Hang in there!!!

Melinda said...

Here I'd been grateful for $2.19. That's incredible! Hope you get the joy you're looking for!

Mindy said...

Why on earth is our gas always $1.00 higher than yours?!

Janelle said...

Wow, you had a tough day yesterday (kid-wise), I had a tough day yesterday (not kid-wise), and I have another friend who was ready to go get a career yesterday and make her husband be Mr. Mom. Weird!

Sarah said...

Gas prices...one more reason to move to Ohio. I was SO excited because ours just went down to $2.61 and you had to go burst my bubble. :)
Glad you're feeling a little better.

zealygirl said...

Dropping gas prices are definitely a shot in the arm when it comes to having a positive day.

I know you know all the 'right answers' that are supposed to help you feel better, but sometimes it doesn't work quite as quickly as desired. Hang in there. You're awesome!

Dez said...

Thanks for sharing some of the emotions you are going through, sometimes it seems like I am the only one that goes in slumps like that. I feel so bad sometimes because I know I'll look back someday and regret not taking advantage of every moment I have with my kids at this age. Sometimes it takes all of the energy I have to, like you said, have them live through the day!! Thanks for the inspiration!

princess jen said...

Darn tootin' you should be grateful for $1.85 gas! ;) My neighbordhood gas is $2.49!! (Luckily I went to the grocery store and earned a coupon by spending lots of money and ended up paying $2.09 today). I'm sending lots of prayers your way. Let yourself get through this move and things will start to perk up, I'm sure.

Lacy said...

I'm thinking it's always good to count our blessings. I hoped it's helped your slump. I LOVe your Kaden picture. He looks so grown up and I think it captures many facets of his personality. You could have come trick or treatig at our house (way too far awaay :) we were handing out flavored tootsi rolls, regular tootsies, and dots, a few ppl got york peppermint patties.

Kathy Whittle said...

I think it's wonderful that all your children are taking naps at the same time - that rarely happened for me. Reading about Spencer's screaming episodes makes me thankful that Emily had her thumb. I don't like it now......but it was great when she was a baby!

J & A Danes said...

Sorry you have been in a slump lately. I always go through slumps and it is no fun to be in them. I was in one the end of last week. Recovery wasn't going quite as planned or as well as it had in the beginning. Hope things start looking up soon. I will be thinking about you and remembering you in my prayers. Call if you want to chat.

lynsey said...

hope this day is going better for you! kaden is all grown up...look at all that cute hair. i swear he changed into a little man over night!

Marci said...

i know this sounds absolutely awful but i feel so much better that you feel that way sometimes too. you always look like you have everything together and like you just always love to be a mom more than anything with never a bad day. so i hope that you are feeling better but thank you for sharing the down with me. misery loves company i guess.;)
you really are just a doll though and an amazing mom!

stephanie and sean said...

counting my blessings is always a quick remedy to the blues ... sometimes i just feel blue, and it takes time to warm up to yellow again :) Your are SO wonderful, despite all that you feel about yourself :) things will get better.

Andrea said...

Loved the post. We ALL feel like that sometimes and you are so good and proactive about helping yourself get out of the "funk." You are such a great mom and I wish I has half the energy you did for projects! And 1.85...that's crazy. I think we're at 2.45 and that sounds good enough for me to scream "Hallelujah"

Grandma Danes said...

It's good for us all to stop and think about what we are grateful for and if we were never in a slump how would we know when we were better? I still have down days and you'd think I would just be grateful to be alive and moving around. I was so happy when I got gas for $2.54 the other day and the next day it was down to $2.36 and I had already filled my tank - I was really annoyed - should've been grateful that it will be lower the next time I have to fill it up.

Doug and Mallena said...

I'm GRATEFUL to have you as a friend!

blair and maisy said...

I'm trying to figure out why gas is so much cheaper there than here. I think I'll move to your town!

Kritta22 said...

WOw! $1.85...it's $3.09 here! I wish, I wish!
I love that picture of your little munchkin below this post! How wonderful! I need to count my blessings too.