Saturday, November 8, 2008

For the love of pancakes

I really didn't consider myself to be a pancake lover. An occasional LIKER, yes. But LOVER, no. UNTIL I discovered a little technique some might call recycling. :)

I put leftovers in my pancakes.

And it's delicious.

Even tried potato pancakes?? Put some leftover mashed potatoes in your pancake batter sometime. IT'S DELICIOUS!! So soft and tasty!

And leftover hash browns and bacon? Crumbled up and mixed right in...yum!

But one of my favorite things to mix in is leftover desserts. I have posted a few of these pancakes before. I've used all sorts of leftover desserts...warm winter lemon cake, apple crisp, Hot Fudge Pudding cake, etc. But the latest is turtle pumpkin pie. I just posted the recipe on my recipe blog--and I am telling you now that if you have ANY reason to make a dessert in the next few weeks (wink, wink) you MUST try this. It was SOOOO tasty!

We usually only make dessert when we have people over. But once dinner is over and company gone, we sit with the leftovers. Which really means I sit here with the leftovers. Mixing them in with breakfast makes a great new breakfast dish and gets rid of all temptation--

I kind of think of this like my own little pancake Coldstone. :) For example, my most recent pancakes (pictured above) had pockets of pumpkin and carmel mixed throughout. Graham cracker crumbs swirled through...it was delicious! I topped my pancakes with some whipped cream, nuts and carmel. I think next time I might mix the whipped cream and puree the last piece of pie to make a sauce to drizzle over.

I wish I had an actual recipe for this--I don't. I usually do this with a pancake mix so I can add a little extra water if needed. You don't want it TOO chunky or thick--I usually put about 2 pieces of pie or cake in a batch that makes probably 8-12 pancakes (depending on size).

What do you put in YOUR pancakes?? I would love to get some new ideas!!

9 comments:

Kritta22 said...

Oh dang! I thought I was sooo creative this morning and I put pumpkin and spices in my waffle mix! Yours sounds sooooo much better though! can we come over and stay for breakfast??

zealygirl said...

Delish!

Our favorite thing on pancakes right now is apple butter. So, so good!

When you started talking about adding things I thought you were adding veggies and hiding them. Desserts sound so much better!

Stephanie said...

You can put cheese in them, that tastes good.

Our Little Family said...

YOU are a GODDESS! That pie looks like I need to make it RIGHT NOW and the pancakes just speak to my heart! THANKS FOR THE GREAT IDEA! BJ and I are both convinced we have to make them ASAP!

Camille said...

I never jazz up our pancakes- never! Always plain old wheat pancakes w/plain old syrup. If I am feeling adventurous, maybe jam.
I should do this. It really does look good.

Lacy said...

yummy, it sounds like a great new Ihop creation. They have their state (or is it city) pancakes right now. This could be the Ohio pancake. We tried a very yummy carrot cake pancake there a few months ago. Hmm, we usually just have lots of different grains, my mom thinks its nasty. I guess we've learned to like the taste of healthy. However last month in the friend they had the scandinavian pancakes (which i think are very much like crepes) We tried them and after 5 tries I became an expert crepe maker. We really enjoy them. We put cheese in some, and bananas,frozen fruit, honey, apples walnuts and yogurt, or just plain syrup in others. Some are lucky enough to get topped with whipped cream. Jadelyn really likes banana, honey and cheese together.

B-Blogit said...

That looks so very very yummy!

Katy said...

Oh YUMMMMMMMMM

too bad it's almost midnight, otherwise i'd be whipping up a batch of fresh hot pancakes right now!!!

oh and i'm BACK... PRAISE BE!

Malissa said...

I don't have big breakfast eaters for breakfast. I just might have to try this for dinner though. My boys are just cereal eaters. Kinda blah if you ask me!