
PLEASE, PLEASE tell me there is someone else on this planet who HASN'T read the Twilight Series???
I FINALLY broke down and watched the movie trailer. But I didn't gain a lot of insight....
So I went to read the reviews on Amazon...
There are LOTS of them...good, bad, mixed.
I am still confused as to what else is involved in the plot besides a human girl being in love with a vampire figure...
I am beginning to think I am the only one out there who knows little about this series...am looking for some company in this department. Even if you haven't commented here before or have just stumbled across my blog, I AM LOOKING FOR OTHER NON-TWILIGHT READERS! And to you I ask...
Why haven't you read it yet?
And do you have plans to?
Or are you at least curious about the movie?
And if you are like the other 99% of the world population who HAS read these books, can you help convince me why they are a MUST READ???
44 comments:
alana born hasnt read them yet.....it's funny though she came to the movie last night and now she wants to read them! you should talk to her :)
I haven't read anything on it or seen the movie - just heard about it. I have decided my brain is old enough and already corrupted with enough unimportant things that I can let some of them go. I know the popular stuff still looks good to the younger generations though.
I haven't read them. I can't get over the whole vampire thing, and I heard that they're a little riske in parts. That's what's holding me up. I still might read them someday though, if I also get convinced. So....you're not alone. --Jenny
I read the first two... and wasn't very impressed. They were okay quick light reading, but I totally don't get the hype. (I'm also not big into the fantasy thing.) I'd say, don't worry about it. If you ever feel like you want to read them, go ahead, but don't feel like you're missing out on something.
You are SO missing out!! LOVE the books, but feel very strongly that the 4th one overstepped the bounds as being a "young adult" book. But I have yet to see the movie - maybe next weekend!
The first one is a must read. The rest could be burned for all I care- they were awful.
I think you'd really like the first one Rachel- and I'm a book snob! :D
I loved them all. I hate vampires, but I loved these books. Once I started reading, I COULD NOT PUT THEM DOWN.
I agree with Lisa about book 4, though-- although it was still very "clean", and they were married, there was a lot of sexual innuendo. Way more than I'd want my teenage daughter reading about.
I just barely jumped onto the Twilight bandwagon. I had no idea what all the hype was about until I finished the first book the other night. I loved it because it displayed such raw emotions and human fraility. I don't know how a movie could truly capture that on film but the book was intriguing enough to get me interested.
Besides being a love story the book delves into obsession, weakness, insecurities, and strength of character. I couldn't put it down although some scenes were a little outlandish.
I LOVE the series!!!! Let me just tell you, the writing isn't Top of the Line prose, but it's addictive and let's you just melt into a mindless 'nother world... which I love!
But I totally know how you feel: I still haven't read a single Harry Potter book (watched ALL the movies) but darn it, never started those (yet)
I am one who has not read ANY of these books and I could care less to read them. I have heard all about them, know the plot and the ending, which sounds totally lame to me.
I think one reason I haven't picked one up is I just don't jump on the "bandwagon" when it comes to these type of books. I'm sure it is a "fun" read, but not some thing I'd get "into" at all.
Also I have a hard time justifying abandoning my children for days to finish these 500+ paged books (I am NOT a fast reader). I heard of girls who's houses, children, and hubbies were ignored for days as they read the series and I thought "I could never do that." If it were some informative book with lots to learn from, that would educate me maybe I would do that, but not for a vampire love story, sorry it's just not me! I have a feeling it's not you either, at least not to abandon you family to read them, it's not worth it or so some of my close friends and family have told me.
I want to see the movie though just to see how it turns out. I can spare a couple of hours in the evening while my kids are sleeping to see a movie so I just might do that.
While I certainly am not judging anyone who chooses to read these books (so don’t take offense), I try (not always succeeding of course), to remember that Christ is sitting alongside me every day with everything I say and do. I feel that what I do in my life should be pleasing to him (again – doesn’t always work with me), but my book selections are something that I do have a pretty good control on. Do I think that Christ would want me to spend my time reading books about people falling in love with vampires or doing something a little more worthy and uplifting? That’s why I personally have chosen not to read them. Again, not judging anyone who chooses to read these books or see the movie, just my personal opinion
I was just like you before I read them and what I did, was, I commited to read just one chapter, and if I didnt like It I would just stop reading...and Whala, I read ALL OF THEM!!!!
I have not read them and really only knew about them recently. I am not into those kind of books but I have been told that they are really good. So i am in your situation. Do i want to read or not. As you find out more let me know.
I have not read them and I don't intend to. I didn't read Harry Potter either. You can gasp now! I don't care about vampires and I don't want to be lumped together with a bunch of teenage groupies. I like books that make me think. I've read a few books by Jodi Picoult and found them interesting. She takes a seemingly black and white issues like suicide or abortion and introduces a gray area that you didn't think existed. I like that different perspective. Anyway, glad to hear you're going against the current.
I got the first one for my Birthday last year. I had no idea what it was about. I had read a review of the books when the third one came out and thought it might be interesting. I love to read! I didn't start the first book for a few weeks but my sister called to see what I thought. So I decided to start reading one night and couldn't put it down. Not only that, I had to go and get the rest of them.
I really liked them because it was a differnt story. Something I hadn't read before. I enjoyed the simple falling in love. It reminded me of how I felt when I was dating my husband. But I was like everyone else. I ignored my family for a few days while I read. AND my home teachers came to my house on a surprise visit. Served me right! :)
I will have to say, that as much as I LOVE to read, I did not like the first one therefore was not interested in reading the others. Vampires are just not my thing but others like them. Plus I didn't think they were written that well, so that was a other no thank you for me. But hey I will go and see the movie. I love movies, but I LOVE the popcorn more!!
Hope I helped or maybe you should ignore my comment!
I'm wandering around in zombie mode today because I went the the midnight sneak peak of the Twilight movie last night... Here's my take on it all:
If you plan to see the movie, you MUST read the book first.
If you have time, they really are VERY fast reads- they look long, but can easily be finished in a few days. The first book was good- I liked it a LOT. The second book was fine. The third was okay. I haven't gotten around to reading the fourth yet. I'd say, if you have TIME to read and WANT something light- Twilight is a great choice. But don't feel like you're missing oug.
I liked them. When I first started to understand where the book was leading, I thought, "Oh Crap, please do not tell me he is a vampire." I thought it would be lame, but it was pretty entertaining and imaginitive. I think the draw that it has to everyone is not the human/vampire aspect of it, but the love story part of it. 2 people supposedly destined to love each other, willing to die for eachother, yadayadayada, the way every girl wants to be loved.
i admire the person above who spends all of their time doing religious things, but that's not me. i have to mix a little wordly entertainment in once in a while. They are pretty wholesome books, and the vampire she is in love with and his family are actually 'good' vampires. I was able to read them without abandoning my children. They are a fast read if you can sit down with them after your kids go to bed.
So basically, you're not missing out on a literary masterpiece, but it is unique and intriguing. Definitely different from most of the stuff out there. I think it's cool that she could write something that would appeal to young and old, guys and girls. That says a lot about it in my opinion.
I have not read them. I do not want to read them. I have no intention of ever reading them. I'm really glad the movie is out though, because maybe the hype will simmer down a little and people will finally STOP TALKING ABOUT IT!
I think I'm okay now.
Ok Cousin Rachel, I am totally with you! I have NOT read any of the twilight series. I know about just as much as you do. Human loves vampire and it is supposed to be a 'clean' vampire movie. It seems like everyone around me totally loves them. My brother says I must read and will love them. My VT partner has every book and a woman I visit teach says she hates reading but no one could pry her way from this series. Many many others are very enthrawled, in fact I don't know anyone who isn't. The fact that everyone is so obsessed with them makes me a little curious but it is actually the reason I have not read them. When I start a book I get very involved and it consumes me. If the rumors about this serious are true than I probably wouldn't be a whole person once I started until it was finished. I just don't have the time to get consumed in a book like that right now. If it would offer me life solving solutions or a big spiritual epifony then it would be worth it. However vampires and romance don't really seem like they would do either for me (I could be wrong though I guess) :) Someday my curiosity will probably win over and I'll read them. For now I stay Twi light free.
So I have just read the first one. I wasn't about to read it. But a friend of mine told me that she had read it after(she does hair) people from all walks of life were always talking about it at her chair. She read it and loved them and passed it on to me. I have read only the first one. It's about teenagers and all but I enjoyed it. I know that some people can't justify time and all that but I am a fast reader and read the book in less than a day. It was just a little escape. One that I really needed. I want to read the others but I am using them as incentive to do some of the other thing that I have to do and when those are done then I will read it. And I am not just talking about dishes and chores. I suggest that when you feel like the time is right for you and you want to then read them. You might not like them but you might. And we are all old enough to not get swept up in the mindset that there are really vampires and all that craziness about Edward. I really feel bad for the actor who plays him by the way. The girls are about crazy for him and they are wierd about it too.
I haven't read them. I think Jane summed up how I feel about it. I'm by no means perfect, but I'm afraid if I continue to introduce my mind to evil notions (and I do think Vampires as a main plot might be a bit on the evil side), then I chip away at the core of my goodness. I promise I'm not an extreemist in anyway, it's just how I feel. It comes from myself being to easily influenced and really trying to plant my feet firmly in my faith. While I have no problem knowing that the guards on the wall did not throw slushies at Joshua while he walked around the wall of Jericho (as shown in the Veggie Tales movies), I have a harder time separating fact from fiction when it looks so real. So call it my own spiritual immaturity, but I don't think I'm interested in it. I realize there is the arguement that it's JUST a movie/book/etc, but with a sincerely non-judgemental heart, I say it's just not for me.
Just to put in my two cents:
I haven't YET read them all. But I like to read and am the type of person that I have to know the whole story. I can't even read Anne of Green Gables without following through to Anne of Ingleside...and I've read that 5 times.
However, one of the things that got me was that some women in my ward were talking and said that it was cute, had teenaged 'real' emotions and reminded of other love stories (like the Anne series) that you love as an adult because you went through the emotions and dramas as a youth. So I decided to give it a try and it is like that to me. An easy read with a fairly predictable story line that was fun to go through. And when I'm done, I'll be done, just like I was with several other series.
Hi Rachel,
I've read them, and here's why you should. They are now a major part of popular culture. That's why my Hubby read them all, becuse they're not going away. It's like Uncle Tom's Cabin. It's going to be a part of American Literature forever. Stephanie Meyers is LDS. There are some interesting LDS themes throughout the book, even if they are disguised by vampires. See this bog post
http://www.timesandseasons.org/index.php/2008/11/now-a-glorious-dawn-is-breaking/
The first one was the best, the last one may offend some who are on the sensitive side when it comes to sex. The story is good, the writing tolerable. Do they compare with Jane Austen, probably not, but they're not going away and for that reason alone you should read them, I like to call it being well rounded.
-Jessica
PS It appears that the link isn't working at the moment. It will be up again soon.
I didn't want to read these books. My sister loaned me her book and I was hesitant to read it. When I finally did pick it up I was hooked. I love the story because it brings out this perfect man for ALL of us to love. It takes you to a different world and that is fun. I really did like the first one. It was my favorite. If you love romance books then I suggest picking twilight up. I loaned my book to my mother in law and she later told me she couldn't put it down. Her husband found her reading it at 3 am! they are that wonderful. Hope I helped.
Interesting how many people feel so passionately about these.
I haven't read them; I may watch the movie when I can get it free somewhere (redbox or library).
I haven't read them.
I'm not going to either!
Why? It is just the stubborn little part of me refusing to join the trends. If I can't afford trendy clothes, I may as well be completely anti-tend! :)
I am quite sure that I would like them. I am not picky when it comes to books, but oh-well. I just don't really care!
I have only read the first one so far, and I actually loved it! (When I "read" I do it with book on CD... that way I can do other things around the house other than yell at my children for being too loud while I'm trying to read a book! :o)
Anyways, I haven't read the others yet. I am number 220 on the waiting list at the library for the books on CD. They will come..... They will come....
I've read the first three. I was "eh" about them. So much so that I haven't read the fourth yet. I'm sure I will - just so I can finish the series. I agree with Mindy- don't make is at "Must Do" in your busy life!
Sorry- you won't find a non-reader here. But I did wait until this past summer to read them all (because I have a zealous friend that kept reminding me). My advice- if you like reading, read it (my husband even read them after I finished, on his own). I thought they were entertaining and creative. Don't see the movie unless you read the 1st book, or you probably won't like it. Knowing you, I think you'll like it all.
I haven't read them and I don't know if I will either. No big desire to see the movie. Several friends of mine with similar book tastes read them and thought that the first 3/4 of the first book was great and the rest was not. So I doubt I will invest my time in something so mediocre to me when there are so many things I'd rather read (check out the author Haven Kimmell sometime--she's fantastic!)
PS Thank you so much for your comments on my blog. Even if you feel there's nothing fab to add, it means a lot to me to know that you care about me.
I finally read Twilight last month and loved it. Meyers is a great writer, and it was fun to read. I'm now reading New Moon, but it's not near as good........ As for you, I certainly wouldn't worry about reading these books just because so many people think it's a great series. Everyone is different. No worries!
I haven't read the books. I like to wait till after the trend to read super popular books. I did the same thing with Harry Potter.
Why?
I don't know.
I'm probably the first guy to comment here and I probably represent most guys when I say I haven't read the books, probably never will, and I'll only see the movie if Jenny wants to see it. Bart and Shantyl saw the 10:15pm show on friday night. She was excited; he thought he might fall asleep.
- travis
I haven't read them either. I've heard they're good. I've heard others rave about them. I know they're popular right now.
I just haven't found the time yet to sit down and immerse myself in a new, addictive series when my house is a wreck and my kids have appointments and we are all sick and my friend's husband is gone and she needs my help.... Plus, they are always checked out at the library and I don't feel like forking out for books I don't know if I will love.
It all sounds a bit "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" to me anyway.
I haven't read them. I've heard a lot about them and heard they are good but I've just never taken the time to read them. Maybe one day I will but I'm not really in any big hurry. I did almost go see the movie the other day but didn't do that either.
I have read a couple but it just got a little too graphic. The author is an amazing writer but she really could have left a lot of stuff out of it. It is easy to get into and be captivated. I read it while I was in D.C. with nothing much else to do but I can't bring myself to finish the series because of the graphic parts. The first was pretty clean but then it got gradually worse. I am not going to see the movie though.
This is Jon,
I havn't read them because they are stupid and terribly written, nor do I have any desire to see the movie. We spent most of the time in my Creative writing class back at BYU laughing at sappy and over dramatic passages from the first book. I guess you might glean something out of them if you like reading about abusive teenage relationships.
Just to represent the other half of the Farrell Family (even though I know I've talked to you about this before)...they were good. Not great, but good. I read the first 3, each in 2 days. I was hooked then, but it's been long enough now that I probably won't read the 4th. I do want to see the movie, but not until it's on video.
Knowing you, I can't see you really getting into them. But now that I think about it, I really don't know what other books you've read and loved. But I do think there are other books that you would enjoy more.
Well I read them all and I actually liked the first three...I mean, like it's been said before they aren't Tolstoy...but Stephenie Meyer is a good storyteller...and I am a girl who loves a good story. The last one, unfortunately was not my favorite. I really feel like she was pressured by her publishers and it changed her story too much. For me, I am always reading something...if it's just in the car waiting for Kindergarten to get out, in the doctors office, in bed to help myself fall asleep, or while I walk on the treadmill...and one thing I've learned is that if you can find a book published in this century that is pretty clean and has a good story and has inviting characters - you have a find.
these kinds of things are simple for me... if you're interested, curious or intrigued by the series, then you should check it out. if you're not that interested, then don't bother. for me it doesn't matter how much or how little hype something is getting. it's about how interested i am in it. if it doesn't sound like your thing, don't worry about reading the books or seeing the movie. pretty simple.
Personally - I have NO interest in reading those... although it seems that 90% of my friends, family and ward members have... they just don't appeal to me...
Hey Rach, I heard so much about them and so me and my friend got them and read them in a week, I was hook and we went to the movie and of course its like every book into a movie, good but way better as a book! I say Read it!!! its such an easy fun read!
Post a Comment