Friday, November 21, 2008

Reminiscing--

Tonight I got looking back at what I wrote a year ago this week, just to see how things have changed and remember what we were going through at the time. It was so fun to see how the kids have changed and read the funny things they said and did. Brandon and I were shocked at how SMALL Kaden was last year--and now he seems all grown up. It is weird to think that Spencer will sprout up just like him next year.

I also noticed a few recurring themes...we didn't sleep well (what has changed there?), we did lots of fun things together, and we were always cleaning up messes. :) Sitting here tonight, I am SO glad I recorded all those things. Many of them I had forgotten about--little tidbits here and there--and I am grateful to have them put down somewhere to jog my memory at times like this.

I know this picture is a repost, but when I saw it I about died laughing remembering the day I took it! It was taken last December. In my post I had written, "Brandon and Jenna went out to play ball in the backyard and I snapped this pic. She dressed herself...obviously. I mean, what says "I enjoy 40 degree weather" like a pair of flowery capris and dress shoes!?? The ball was flying right towards her, and she just shut her eyes and stood there! :) I am sensing she might take on my lack of athletic abilities."


Ahhh....so fun to look back. I know I will do the same thing next year--probably at the same time, because the holidays seem to bring out that need for memories of family and friends and life in general. I am thankful for this blog--for the stories I have been able to record, for the pictures I have posted (even the really crummy ones, because it helps me see when I progress), and for the cute little people (and one big person) who make up my family and contribute to the memories we've made. :)

12 comments:

Camille said...

"the crummy ones"
I am sorry, but there are no crummy pics. on this blog! I like this pic. I hadn't quite entered blog world at this time last year. Fun to see.

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

I am grateful for your blog too. I love watching your family grow :o)
(and reading all of your fun adventures!)

AprilF said...

I did this same thing just the other day- and I too was very grateful that I'd written down the Cameron-isms. That picture is cracking me up! She didn't even move her hands- HA!

Katy said...

hahaha!! Oh Jenna, that is too funny! I love taking strolls down memory lane. I'm so happy you have this blog too, keep up the great job!

Charlotte said...

So fun. You've convinced me to be better about recording the little things.

Jane said...

Wow, I can't believe how much Jenna has grown in the past year. She looks so much older and mature now in just a mere 365 or so days. I think it's great that you blog on a daily basis. It is a wonderful remembrance for both you and your kids. Wish I would have done it when my boys were a little younger. Plus, I'm not a good writer, photographer, and friends my age -- ha ha -- aren't into blogging and wouldn't care to read anything. Even though I'm in a little bit of an older generation than you Rachel, I am one of those people who love to read your blogs and I am one of those people who LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, getting those Christmas letters that so many of my friends abhor getting. I love to hear from friends that I never see anymore that have become Christmas card friends (whether they've moved away or our lives have just taken different busy paths). I love to read what they've been doing throughout the year, what their kids are up to, etc. Keep up the wonderful writing, picture taking and sometimes very thought provoking subjects that you write about. I always look forward to reading your blog.

Kathy Whittle said...

You know, you're one of the ones who inspired me to start a family blog. Thank you so much! It's a wonderful way to have a great record of our family. I love reading your blog - you're a great writer and photographer, and it's so fun to read about your darling family!

Doug and Mallena said...

Thanks for the flashback. I do seem to remember this picture. Yep, it was just as funny this time as it was a year ago. :)

Mary said...

I also love to look back at what we were doing this time last year.

Melinda said...

cute pic! Loved remembering that.

Just jotted an email to your yahoo account about things to do there.

Am REALLY excited!

Sarah said...

This picture is too funny. I love how happy she looks and how oblivious she is to the ball.

Why is Melinda excited about things to do there??? Are they coming to visit?

lynsey said...

hilarious picture! i love that you captured a fantastic moment here.