Sunday, November 9, 2008

Little things...


Today I realized so many of the "little things" that make me love my kids...
Like the way Kaden has started to rip off his diaper and run for the toilet yelling "POTE" (poop). He gets SO excited about doing his business big boy style! And I love how he looks like a puppy chasing his tail when we put big boy undies on him and he tries countless times to see the picture on the back...and the way he knows exactly which toys will have a spot in bed with him. And I LOVE the way he has me kiss each one every single night. I love his smile and his laugh and the way he yells "MUMMY" when I walk in the door.

And I love Jenna's creativity. She has such a way of putting LIFE together in a way I tend to overlook. She is so observant and loves stories about anything and everything. She is so expressive--which I think is FABULOUS, especially for only being 4. Last night we were sitting on the couch together and she said to me "mom, you know I sure love you, right?" It was so sweet--and it totally melted my heart! Please Jenna, keep saying these things long into your teenage years! :)

And little Spencer...I love his snuggliness. He hasn't been feeling great, which makes him even MORE snuggly than usual. And while I sometimes look at this as a downer, as I laid with him on the couch today and listened to him snore, I realized I wouldn't always get to hold my baby like this, and maybe being snuggly isn't so bad right now--even when I do have things to do. I love his giggles and toothy smile, and the way he sucks his right thumb while rubbing his left ear. He's my special little guy.


It really is all those little things that make you love someone so much...

19 comments:

Jake & Lisa Danes said...

I too have been taking a moment to take in those little things and those little moments. I am always in awe of my children and the things that they do and learn. They are true joys. I wish that I could remember those things when they are being destructive or fighting. Oh well.

Carly said...

Those sweet little things are what make it all worth it, huh?!

Grandma Danes said...

It's times like these that make you forget all about the "poopy" days. You're a great mom and we love reading about your children. I was reading your pancake blog - my sugar goes up just with regular pancakes, can't think what would happen with those you make, but I think I am about to find out.

Melanie said...

Once again...you took the words right out of my mouth. It's easy to let the responsibilities of life over take the simplicities that our kids entail...and it's so nice to stop, step back, and enjoy their innocence and special characteristics. I think too often we forget that THAT is what really matters.

The Olligschlager Family said...

Hey! Your kis have gotten so big! Crazy!!!

Camille said...

THis is a sweet post.....but I'm sorry, all I can think about is the pictures, the leaves and your last post....I just keep thinking, "What is hiding under all of those leaves?"

The Fami-Lee said...

I just am amazed by your blog. The pictures are so lovely and I can hear your voice when you write! Thanks for being dilligent and so creative (you always have been, ya know). I loved reading the little things about your kids...being a mom is pretty awesome.

stephanie and sean said...

you make me wanna be a mama. you make me want to see the good, treasure every day, and cherish the little things ... and just so you know ... you are QUADRUPLE DUPLE as creative as little ol mee hee.

Katy said...

ooohhh... you make me wanna snuggle with those kids So bad!!! love these pictures, but more than that, Love their mommy!

CissaLynn said...

Awww! What a sweet post! And.....a reminder to us all that there are MANY good things surrounding the hard days!!! :))

CissaLynn said...

Oh, btw, I absolutely LOVED your "poop" post!!! lol!!!!!! :))) Having two boys, I have been there, done that!!! It is much easier just having them "go behind a tree" than to find a bathroom close by (and they usually can't wait anyway)!!! It is surprising how many parks don't have bathrooms, too!!!
Anyway, FUNNY story, girl!!! I loved it!!! :)

The Wyler Family said...

so true... the little things make all the difference in every area of life!

Brian and Camilla Freeman said...

Way to savor the little things, Rachel! That's when I LOVE being a mom and when I remember how cute and sweet my kids really are...even if they do wreak havoc from time to time! Thanks for your post!

Jenny and Travis said...

GREAT pictures of the kids! Every one was christmas card worthy! Your kids are so sweet. Looking at pictures of them always brightens up my day. Way to go Kaden for going potty like a big boy! I miss you all. --Jenny

Malissa said...

I don't take enough time to stop and think about the little things. I get caught up in all the things that didn't go the way I had planned. So it is a good reminder to stop and think of the little things. The things that put smiles on our faces and make us love those little ones even more. Thanks! And your pictures are sooo good. You do such a good job!

Kritta22 said...

I just love those things! You are such a great mom!

AprilF said...

What a sweet post. Lovely pictures of your kiddos.

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet post (and even sweeter kiddo pics!). Thanks for 4reminding me to appreciate the little things.

Marci Ward said...

I am glad to read this because sometimes we remember the bad days instead of those amazing things that happen during motherhood! Thanks for sharing a piece of your heaven with us!