Monday, February 16, 2009

The window valance skirt!

I have been really interested in repurposing things for sewing projects lately. I browsed the thrift store the other day and got some sweet finds in the form of a really NICE queen size flat sheet and a window valance. I have so many ideas floating around my head!!

I made Jenna a quick skirt with the valance today. It's SOOOO easy because there is already a pocket for the elastic (from the rod pocket) so it was basically one seam...except that I added a little slit in the back. Everything else is nice and professionally sewn! :)

Not my favorite print for skirt, but this was all a trial run. Just had the idea pop in my head while I was browsing and grabbed the nicest one I could find. This particular valance actually has 3 pockets (one for a thin metal rod, one for a thicker rod, and the rest is just doubled over.) I plan on making some kids aprons from these, since there are basically 3 usable pockets. Just need to turn it vertical, instead of horizontal. And I could do a ruffled skirt with this too, easily! I can't wait to go find some more valances! The possibilities are endless!






15 comments:

CissaLynn said...

Awww! Rachel, it is ADORABLE!!! I love all of your ideas and wish I could sew! My mom sews, but "us kids" never learned how. Hmmm, I wonder if it is something I could learn now. Might not be a bad idea 'cause you make soooo many cute things (which saves money, but also makes things so unique)!

I am doing much, much better and am almost back to myself!!! :)) Yippee!!!! Thanks goodness for modern meds!!! :))

Annette said...

Very cute! You did a great job.

Nicia said...

How creative! Looks great.

Jessica said...

You are so ambitious! I love all your ideas. I am just in survival ready-to-have-a-baby mode and my kids are watching at least 3 hours of PBS kids a day.

Michelle said...

Cute skirt idea!

I am soooo jealous of your ring, by the way. If I want something nice I probably have to buy it myself.... :-)

Michelle said...

Cute skirt idea!

I am soooo jealous of your ring, by the way. If I want something nice I probably have to buy it myself.... :-)

princess jen said...

you are one incredibly talented and creative woman! I never fail to be impressed at your awesomeness.

Doug and Mallena said...

I'm very, very, very impressed!

Kemi said...

Jenna looks so grown up in her sleek little pencil skirt!

You amaze me.

Ivy & Mae said...

Adorable! Good job. I like it.

Kathy Whittle said...

I would have never thought of something like that. Did you see the idea somewhere? So cute!

Malissa said...

Really cute skirt. I love the little slit up the back. She looks so mature! Love it.

Melanie said...

You are amazing! I want to be a good mommy like you! It looks amazing. What a lucky little girl!

LHD said...

we have that valance in jacob's bathroom. seriously, we bought it at lowes. :)

Katy said...

seriously, only you can see a window treatment and make it into a legitimately adorable garment!!! geeze, some girls just have it all! love this idea... wonder what you could make with the whole set of curtains!