Today was one of the best days I have had in a long time.
First off, I slept through the night. Now, this doesn't mean the KIDS slept through the night, but I sure did. Apparently I was completely zonked and didn't hear a peep. Thanks Brandon for coming to the rescue and staying up / getting up early with the little people of the house. :)
We had kind of a lazy morning. Not complaining though. :) Brandon went and played racquetball and I got everything ready to take to the consignment store. My friend Melissa (from next door) and her daughter came with me on my little thrift store adventure. I took TONS of stuff in...tons. Like, 2 BIG boxes and a smaller box, and a garbage sack, etc.
I will NEVER sell my stuff to Children's Orchard ever again--what a complete joke (okay, this was the one real downer of the day). They basically gave me all my boxes of stuff back. I think they only took a couple of brand new shoes I had. I got a whoppin' $23 in store credit. Which is fine...don't get me wrong. I am glad I got SOMETHING. But I had LOTS of stuff and was bummed to basically take it all home. I asked why they didn't choose more of my things. I had looked online ahead of time and it said that if your clothes aren't more than 5 years old, and are not torn, or EXCESSIVELY fading, they will buy them and pay top dollar. I went through EVERYTHING and made sure nothing had stains and was in good condition. So needless to say, I was SHOCKED that so many good clothes weren't accepted. I was eventually told that basically my items had to be BRAND NEW. I thought, WHAT????
What was even MORE baffling to me was that I saw TONS of stuff on THEIR salesfloor that was stains, faded, or torn. So what made it okay to buy that stuff, but not mine? I was pretty upset. It was just such a waste of my time....so, I bought enough to cash out my store credit and I will never go there again. Period.
Good thing my sweet friend Melissa brought chocolate truffles with her... :) After eating away my sorrows, we drove to another thrift store where I picked up some super fun finds! I have GOT to get sewing so I can keep up in real life what I have invisioned in my head! :)
When I got home, Brandon went to study for a little bit and I stayed to play with the kids. My crazy kiddos went outside, in the snow and cold, in shorts (Kaden wore a swimsuit of all things), shoes with no socks, and coats. :) We ran and played and hid from each other. If my heart had a camera, it would have captured that moment and kept it forever. It was pure bliss.
Speaking of my crazy kiddos, I thought of a couple things that make me smile...
Kaden makes the funniest faces. He is SO expressive and just melts my heart.
Spencer has the FUNNIEST and meanest scowl! It is so surprising because he was THE smiliest baby ever...once he warms up though, he is a complete flirt and a total showoff.
Jenna has started using really big sentences and trying to express her feelings (usually of anger and frustration) in funny ways that usually don't make sense. She has accused us of not being "responsible" when Brandon and I were talking and she tried to interrupt. And she has made us "lose privileges" for one thing or another. But the kicker that made just about made me fall on the floor laughing was when today she asked for some hot cocoa. I hadn't gotten it yet and she came marching in the room with her hands on her hips saying, "Mom, if you don't get me hot cocoa, I am NEVER going to go to the bathroom ever AGAIN!"
Who is that really gonna hurt?? :)
Oh my silly girl.
Whoa....just realized I completely went off track with this post. On to the rest of the day...
this evening I went with my friends Caroline and Tiffany to a bargain outlet store that I LOVE. Seriously, 2 hours we wandered that store and found WAY too many good deals...deals I will post tomorrow because my camera is charging and I am way too lazy to take pictures right now. It was really a great, great day...
But tomorrow is Sunday...and then it's Monday. Monday of test week, to be exact. And we all know how "awesome" test weeks are around here...sigh...slow down time. PLEASE slow down. I another Friday to come my way so we can have a wonderful weekend all over again! :)
13 comments:
Glad you had a great day and found some good deals! Can't wait to see pictures of them tomorrow! --Jenny
haha! love jena's big word usage! i can't wait to see pictures of what you found!
Ooooh, I know exactly how you feel about those kinds of stores! I tried selling my own clothes back in high school, and I thougth they looked awesome, and the other clothes there looked like garbage! Anyway...I was almost insulted by the whole thing. But I'm glad that didn't get your day down. It sounds like it was a fun filled day! What a guy to take care of the kiddos.
I'm so glad you had a "best" day!! And yay for some sleep!!
hahahahaha!!!! Oh Jenna, her threat is absolutely hilarious!!! It's like when I would "punish" my parents by "never ever ever coming out of my room again!!!!" sheesh, little did I know they were doing small happy dances when I'd throw that one out!
What a great day... all except the consignment issue, what a drag!
Good luck next week, we'll all be hear rootin for you!
Sorry you had such a bad experience with Children's Orchard! I've never sold any stuff to them, but I've bought TONS of stuff there (I go whenever I'm in Vegas). There's a place called Kid to Kid here in SLC, but I can't stand it. The clothes are yucky and cost too much.
But I'm glad you got to play with your kids and I can't wait to see what you create next!
I love lazy days and wish more came around too.
I can sympathize with test week, because its my test week too! It is a good thing my wife has 4 days off this week so I can get them done quickly and be over with!
Good luck to Brandon and you!
I have had a few bad experiences taking some of my kid clothes to the consignment store too! I guess its hit or miss!
But I am excited to see what you found at the thrift store! I wish we had more fun thrift stores around.... I can spend hours looking too!!
THANKS for your note, I have been a little lazy about commenting lately! I am still adjusting to 3 kids! I am hoping for a good weekend next weekend too!
Way to stick with the shopping day and find some great deals. You're awesome!
Wow, the first and last time I have ever seen Jenna, she was a tiny thing sitting in the cart at Broulims, when I moved back to the states and was visiting Steph in Rexburg.
Now she's taking away your privledges? Ouch! ;-)
That bites about the consignment store..... Maybe a yard sale later?
Sounds like you had a great day, despite the little happening in the consignment shop. Those places are big ripoffs! I took all my maternity clothes (which I had bought at nice stores all new with Emily, not even a year before) to a consignment shop here in town. I went back a little while later, and none of my clothes were on the racks. I asked about where they were, and they really didn't have an answer, finally said they must not have sold in time and got taken to D.I. (which wasn't true, because I'd just taken them there). I think they just gave them to a friend and never even put them on the rack. I complained a lot and eventually they gave me a small coupon to buy something. I did and have never bought anything there again. The things Jenna says are so funny!
I am so, so, so glad you had such a great day! There is nothing quite like a restful night. Tell Brandon we hope his test week goes well. You'll have to plan something fun for this weekend!
Glad you got to do lots of fun stuff today. I was disappointed with kid to kid (our clothing consignment store). They only pay 25 cents for each item and it has to be almost new even though lots of what they have there is really trashy. I was so surprised. I have found some things there but I won't take my clothes there. Man another test week. Even I feel like it is always test week. wow. good luck
Post a Comment