Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Texas-size thinking...

They say everything's bigger in Texas...

I'd have to say the pre-Texas move thoughts are as well.

My mind has been on OVERLOAD! So much to do, so much to arrange, and so little control over how to get it all done being SO far away! I seriously have hardly slept--partly thanks to the little man in the house--and partly because I lay in bed and have a billion scenarios swirling in my head...and I lay there and write a mental checklist of at least 20 things I need to do or get rid of. How will there be enough time? And where will we live? And how will it work out?

It consumes my conversations with Brandon...the concerns, the excitement, the stresses...so much so, that somehow Jenna picked up the idea that we weren't going to have enough money to move. Now, it's incredibly expensive this time around. That is DEFINITELY a true story. But I don't recall ever saying we wouldn't have enough to make it happen.

She's started praying for us to have enough money, in every prayer. She's been collecting spare change and putting it in a can for us. And she talks about it constantly. (she's quite obsessed with tragic events right now)

I pulled her aside the other day and told her how much I appreciated her efforts, but that I wanted her to know we were going to be alright...that she didn't need to worry in her heart because Heavenly Father would take care of us and our big move.

And it hit me then....

It was almost as if I was wrapping my arms around my own self, reassuring my wild imagination that truly EVERYTHING will be okay...that I don't need to worry in my heart about the long list of things, because regardless of how much there is, I can't possibly do it all in one day or all at one time. But I know, just as has been evidenced before with every step of life and move we've made and big change that has come, it all works out. Heavenly Father is so aware of us...and whether it be 13 miles or 1300, it will all somehow make sense when we look back on this time, and the preparations, and the things that seem so overwhelming right now.

I know it....I do. And I just need my heart and my mind to know it too. :)

10 comments:

BusyMom said...

Many tasks seem daunting when you first face them. Breaking them down into bite size pieces and planning can help you to get through even the most daunting of tasks. Remember how you felt when you set out to lose weight? (At least I'm assuming), you probably felt like you could never get there...and yet you did.

Jessica said...

It will all work out better than you can even imagine! There will be many on this side and the other there to help! Jenna is so sweet, so are you! We are so blessed to have the peace that we are not in this alone and Heavenly Father is there standing ready and willing and waiting to help!

Allyson/HBMomof2 said...

It's overwhelming because it's important! I know that you have the faith that will pull you through, but also know that anyone reading also has the faith that everything will not just be fine, but will be a great start to a new and wonderful adventure. Regardless, I will pray for your steadfastness, your sanity, and your sleep!

Jared said...

I love how kids pick up on our concerns and then have the faith to ask. Our boys pray for things that surprise me at times. They are very perceptive.

We have been stressed here as well. There was a lot of uncertainty about my job and where we were going to live until just the other day. We have been praying for months that the right scenario would work out and now it seems that it will. I will still be anxious about it until it all happens but I know Heavenly Father hears and answers ijr prayers (and the prayers of our little ones).

I hope everything goes well for you as your family makes this change in life!

{Alynn} said...

Long distance moves can be SO overwhelming! You know what I love about you? That you so easily recognize those moments when Heavenly Father is teaching you... and you have the gift to put it into words. Good luck, you're super organized, I'm sure it will be all over before you know it and you'll be happily blogging from Texas!

rachel said...

I can hear this so empathetically. Rachel, it's a long haul not only physically, but emotionally also. Going from the known, to the unknown. We made a similar emotional journey and it's a whopper. You can do it! We have a number of friends moving to Texas. It must be the land of promise right now. You are in good company.

Megan said...

Congrats Rach!!! I haven't congratulated your family yet on getting your #1 choice!! That is so great!!! I am so happy for you. And you're right....moving is so stressful. Not only moving, but completely uprooting your entire life and moving it a far distance. Best of luck....you guys will do great! And knowing you, you'll pull it off without a sweat!

Hannah said...

Rachel- you are awesome and a whole new adventure awaits for you and your family! I am so excited for you guys and can't wait to see how it all unfolds for you!

And yes, it's true- that Heavenly Father does truly have a plan for each of us and somehow he always makes it possible for us to get all the things done (or at least the most important things!) Isn't it incredible how much we can do WITH HIM??? We are so blessed as mothers, wives to have the gospel in our lives!

Kathy Whittle said...

This is such an exciting time for you and your family! Overwhelming, but so many wonderful things to look forward to as well.

I needed to read this blog post about having faith that everything will work out. Thank you for posting your thoughts and feelings. You'll never know how many people are positively affected by them. Love you.

blair and maisy said...

I know how you feel. We're moving to the other side of the country at the same time as you, and I am feeling really anxious!