SPENCER: Oh, the Spencer boy. We love this little guy! Spencer is always cracking us up in one way or another. He is constantly doing funny dances or moves, and he wants so badly to be like the big kids. I often have to stop and remind myself he is only 3...not 4 or 5 or 6. But 3. It's easy to lump him in with the older crowd, since the kids are all close in age. But at this young of an age, even a few months makes such a difference in terms of their level of capability and capacity to understand and follow through.
His speech has really progressed in some ways this year, but it's often incredibly difficult to understand him. I feel badly because he is more and more aware of not being understood on the first try...or second, third, fourth...and it frustrates him immensely!
Spencer is SO caring. He is ALWAYS asking what everyone's name is. Characters in books, people on the street, in movies...you name it, he wants to know. And he says it so darn cute!
"Mom, I don't know what is her name is!?"
words out of order, funny little Spencer voice.
But I love it.
I love that he cares and he truly wants to know. And the amazing thing is that he actually remembers!
He loves to snuggle and have special time together.
He loves playing with blocks and being outside.
And we love, love, love him.
His speech has really progressed in some ways this year, but it's often incredibly difficult to understand him. I feel badly because he is more and more aware of not being understood on the first try...or second, third, fourth...and it frustrates him immensely!
Spencer is SO caring. He is ALWAYS asking what everyone's name is. Characters in books, people on the street, in movies...you name it, he wants to know. And he says it so darn cute!
"Mom, I don't know what is her name is!?"
words out of order, funny little Spencer voice.
But I love it.
I love that he cares and he truly wants to know. And the amazing thing is that he actually remembers!
He loves to snuggle and have special time together.
He loves playing with blocks and being outside.
And we love, love, love him.
KADEN: a.k.a. Resident cheesemaster. I am not sure why he feels that he can't open his eyes if he's smiling, but hey, at least he smiled. :) Kaden has been learning all about dinosaurs in preschool and has LOVED this unit! He is crazy about Lego Star Wars (we have that game for the Wii) and loves to play the computer...or be touching it in some form or fashion at any given time during the day. Drives me bonkers...but it's also incredibly funny to look back and think of the look on his face when we catch him.
He would take a bubble bath 2-3 times a day if we let him.
And he thinks he needs to go in the stroller on walks.
This makes us laugh...and then get flustered...since he is almost 5 years old. :)
Kaden loves hearing stories and playing outside. He's a great little student and is learning so much this year! He loves tomatoes, peas, corn, green beans, peppers, carrots, broccoli, canteloupe, watermelon, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, peaches, pineapple...really the list could go on and on. He is our produce LOVER. If you're wondering what kid would really choose vegetables over a cookie or piece of pie, Kaden is your man. :)
CARTER: I've mentioned the Carter man getting 2 teeth the past 2 posts I wrote about him--that equals 4 in the past 2 weeks...and man are we feeling his pain! He's had a really hard time sleeping--and I am sooo hoping that turns around here soon. I'm needing to make his 9 month appointment...that should happen in the next couple weeks. 9 MONTHS? Can't be...just can't!
He's got a very funny little personality, and it is exciting to watch him grow!
He's got a very funny little personality, and it is exciting to watch him grow!
JENNA: Oh, our little Miss! Jenna is 6 1/2 now--and is quite convinced that the half part is an official number. If we ever slip up and tell someone she is just 6, she interrupts to correct that info. Little does she know, she's more like 6 3/4--and will be turning 7 in May. She's been counting down till her 8th birthday for a couple years now, so it's nice to know she will be down to a manageable countdown pretty soon. Though it's impossible for me to wrap my mind around the idea that I will have a 7 year old...
Jenna loves to learn from stories. Case in point...she was really struggling with spelling. Not that she didn't know the words, but she just didn't want to do them! So out came the movie Akeelah and the bee (spelling bee movie). CHA-CHING. She loved it...LOVED it. And while the spelling word issue isn't completely perfect, she definitely loves to picture herself doing a spelling bee and winning prizes, and even took on the challenge words on her list recently (which previously she was too nervous to attempt).
She is going through a funny stage...you know, the grumpy," nothing- ever- goes- right-in-my-day" stage...even when she's had lots of good things happen that day. I suggested the other day that we try the glad game, and realized she had never seen that movie...I suppose it's time to pull out Pollyanna! :) SHE WOULD LOVE IT. The funny thing is, out of the whole movie, I could place bets on her talking about the part where Pollyanna falls from the tree the most.
{someone please tell me it's normal for kids this age to be fascinated with that stuff...} :)
She's a great helper with Carter and the boys, has a very tender heart, and wants to do right.
We really are so proud of her and love having her in our family.
BRANDON: Found out this past week that he officially passed his 2nd set of boards. What a relief to have that behind us! He's been filling out all sorts of paperwork for residency and taking care of business, so to speak. School has eased up a lot, and it's nice to have him around more often. We know this won't last forever, but are enjoying it while it is... :) It's hard to believe graduation is less than 2 months away.
Brandon is the video game expert...at least in the kids eyes. I actually choose to be ignorant in this department, so that the kids don't even ask to play when it's just me home, because I've said so many times that I don't know how! :) It's my secret weapon...
So when daddy walks in, he's practically trampled over by children who are all so joyous that their
Wii-playing partner-in-crime is home at last!
As for me, I am truly grateful for Brandon and all his sacrifices to get through school and provide for our family. He is a good man...and an exceptional husband. He is always doing things to make life a little easier around here...whether offering to watch the kids so I can have alone time or change poopy diapers or load the dishes because the sink is full...
It goes without saying, we LOVE daddy...Brandon...and soon to be DR. HOLLOWAY!

RACHEL: Hmmm....where to start. My creativity has taken a vacation and I've been a tad bit in a blogging slump. Funny how that happens. Hoping it returns soon. I sure have felt boooooring. :) But lameness aside, I've started packing up boxes and sorting through JUNK. Man, how on EARTH did we accumulate so much stuff while we lived here? I don't know...but the thing I DO know, is that there is no way on earth we are paying to move all the stuff we currently have. I'm excited to purge a lot of it, and start fresh.
Am also so excited to go to Texas to house hunt. The next chapter of our lives feels so surreal right now--exciting to think about, but still not very real. I have a feeling the next few weeks will start to change that...especially as the moving boxes pile up! :)
With Carter struggling with sleep lately, I am convinced now more than ever how much sleep affects your day to day activity...I definitely don't feel like working out when I've been up most of the night, and don't have TIME to workout when I fall back in bed at 5:30 a.m. and sleep until it's time to run kids where they need to be. This has made me realize how much BETTER I feel when I am working out.
I have missed it--my body going, moving, feeling a little sore...
Add to the lack of sleep the fact that it's been so darn cold.
Warmer weather and quieter nights would make me feel like a whole new person! :)
Soon...in time. I am sure I will be back at it and feeling good. I am realizing more and more that there is a time and a season for so many things in life. And just as I enjoy the seasons of the year for the different things they offer, I am realizing that different seasons in life offer just as vast an assortment of opportunity, trials, and routine. Some seasons in life I feel crafty and in project mode. Some seasons I am able to devote more time to working out. Some seasons it's set aside for reflection and working on the inside.
I just need to make the most of whatever season I'm in...right now...in this very moment.
Because unlike the seasons marked on a calendar, I never know when my season will change.





14 comments:
Thanks for the update! Just so you know, Tony is going through the same phase as Jenna right now where nothing is ever good in his day. He's very doom and gloom. Glad to know he's not the only one. Maybe it is just a stage. I was getting worried.
I just have to tell you that my boys LOVE Brandon. G was soooo excited that Brandon was his teacher yesterday. It cracks me up. It also cracks me up that every time I see Jenna she's wiggling another tooth (or two) for me to see. I love your little people. Sad for me that you are moving, but happy for y'all!
Thank you so much for your
"seasons" comment. Like you, we are getting NO sleep over here. I am so tired that your comment made me tear up. I want to do everything in my power to change my seasons, so I can do those things Ive missed out on for the past year, but maybe I just need to relax and see the good in each season. Thanks! and good luck with your packing.
I love this little update on your family! And you haven't been boring at all...
Good luck with getting ready to move!
I was glad to read your comment on Jenna and then to see Jared's comment! James is doing the same thing. I have Pollyanna and yes the tree part is most memorable. I just bring up the glad game and at least he knows what I am talking about! He also does the six and a half thing! So I say it's a stage!!!! Praise the Lord!!! I thought he was turning into a sour puss!
Awesome blog post! It was fun to read a little something about everyone & I loved the pictures! You really have such a great family & are going to be missed SOOOO MUCH! I'm with you on the no sleep thing right now & hoping that it passes soon :) See you tomorrow for the baby shower!
You are a dream! So is your fam!
Hahaha -- that's too funny about Jenny correcting to add the HALF. Malia does the exact. same. thing! LOL
And I love the pictures, you are GORGEOUS!
I feel exactly the same about seasons of life. It is so funny that so many of my friends have the same emotions, thoughts going through their minds and also descovering some of the same insights. It is empowering though to discover bits of truth and feel good (or better) about yourself and everything going on around you when these "discoveries" are made!
The 1/2 IS part of the number Rachel, the fractions are the best part. For instance today is my 17 and 11/12s birthday :p haha Well anyways I miss you guys so much.
It sounds like things are going pretty good in your little family. I like the idea of doing an update like that. I might have to take the time to do one. Your boys are too cute. I love how Kaden smiles with his eyes closed. Jenna is too cute and sounds like a lot of fun. Kaia is the same way when it comes to watching movies. For some reason, they just motivate her. Congrats to Brandon on passing boards. Our guys have worked really hard and definitely deserve all that they are achieving. I am looking forward to starting this new chapter of our lives too. I am always excited for change. I like your take on seasons of life. It is so true. Great post!
What a great update for your family! You all look so shiny and happy. Good luck with all of your packing and searching!
Your family is beautiful, interesting, and wonderful! Love you, Rachel!
I claim ignorance in the video game department too for the exact same reason!
Isaac thinks that he knows enough now to get everything set up, so I think I my excuse may start to lose relevance.
Post a Comment