Thursday, March 3, 2011

Beard Month...

While most of my calendar is scribbled with notes with important to-do's and appointments and things to remember to keep me on track, there is one special day that Brandon has filled in with something he considers of equal or greater importance to all my nitty gritty reminders...


beard month 012

Beard Month.

So here's the scenario:
I hate facial hair. On me {lol} on my husband. Just don't dig the stuff.

I just have always preferred a clean shave on my guy. And aside from some scruffy weeks here and there, he has always been that way...HIS choice.

There was a time several years ago that Brandon hadn't shaved for a few days and was on some quest to see if he could grow a mustache.
I went to bed with a band-aid taped on above my lip so I wouldn't feel the scratchiness.
I offended.
 I never did it again. :)

So knowing my feelings on facial hair growth, he warned me well ahead of time that HIS time was coming...
I pleaded...came up with every reason in the book why he just shouldn't do it, from my birthday coming up to the fact that kisses are just not enjoyable when you're being stabbed in the face.

But his mind was made up.

Then we went to church on Sunday--where apparently the other groupies participating in this had already STARTED beard month early! Frantic to be left behind on all the hair growing action, he hasn't shaved since. (does this mean beard month can END early?) lol

While there are certainly days I would like to rub my legs against his face (cause if the truth is told, I've got a crazy leg-hair growing gene in me!) I'm trying to support his last college fling to proclaim his manhood with his friends before starting residency....

Because he may not admit this to many, but it has been noted that he doesn't like how it feels himself.
I like hearing that.

Good thing I love this man...and all he does for us as a family...facial hair, or not.
(but preferably not) :)


13 comments:

crystal carlson said...

That is too funny--I love how he wrote it on the calendar :) You definitely have to take pictures at the end of beard month & post pictures!

Rachelle said...

This is funny! I'm with you, I hate facial hair!

lynsey said...

ahhhh, i feel your pain. i now call ben the "bearded wonder" because at first it was just for fun...and now it just keeps happening. and growing.

i tell him that he looks more like seth rogan, threaten to stop kissing him, tell him it makes him look like he's 50 but nothing works! so....i decided to just deal with it. because what else can i do?

AND~~random "people" keep complimenting him on it! i don't know who these "people" are, but he swears they exist. {i secretly think these "people" are actually his clients...who are in therapy for a reason, and are they really the best judge of facial hair?}

so anyway. good luck with the month! and please post pictures, if he'll let you~~i need to feel better about my life knowing that someone else feels my pain! :)

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

Wait... no pictures of his beard so far? I want progress reports. :D

(When I met Chip he looked like a red-bearded lumberjack. I thought it was handsome back then... now it just creeps me out. I'm so glad he's clean shaven now!)

Charlotte said...

That's really funny. Jon couldn't grow a beard if he wanted to, but a scraggly goatie shows up from time to time. I think the stabbing lessens as it becomes longer and softer. But I might try the bandaid idea next time the goat starts creaping into our relationship. :)

stephanie and sean said...

i really love how you put that it is a manly "quest" to grow a beard. that totally sums it up to me :) you've gotta show us some pictures of your scruffy man! i'm with you on the facial hair thing. not a fan. but somehow setting aside a month to celebrate all of that manliness feels special ... and actually writing it down on the calendar makes it feel more acceptable for some reason. i'm a sucker for things like that :)

{Alynn} said...

Todd grows AT LEAST a "Christmas Beard" every year. While we (obviously) can't change their minds, I will tell you that it gets softer the longer it gets. It's just that first week that is super pokey... hang in there! He's been working hard, I guess he deserves a little man beard time! :)

Dina said...

lol...That's so funny! I don't think any of the wives are too happy about beard month! Good luck! I'm just glad Josh isn't able to do it this month! I too think we need pictures :)

Jared said...

Well I have had a beard or goatee for a very long time but I have one of those faces that the more of it that's covered up, the better it looks. I promise it gets softer as it gets longer - just like women's leg hair. I dated several girls when I was younger who complained about my facial hair until I shaved it for them and then would be dismayed when I did (refer back to the "more of it that's covered up" comment). Now Kaci won't let me be clean shaven. She says that's the deal. I go through phases of growing a beard or goatee but she says I must have at least a goatee. I shaved the mustache off last week and wasn't sure she'd be ok with it. She wasn't either for a couple of days. Anyway, GO BRANDON GO!

Laura said...

Seeing that written on the calendar made me laugh out loud. You need to get before and after pics!

Lisa said...

I totally understand what you mean!! My hubs has been doing the beard thing for a few weeks now. I LOVE how he looks with it, I find it sexy, but I DO NOT like the scratchiness! He's done it now and then thruout the years - we'll see how long it lasts this time!
Definitely take pictures and post them!

Jessica said...

I LOVE THE BANDAID idea, that is hilarious! Something about those beard days and higher education... my bro-in-law grew a ridiculious handle bar moustache and KEPT IT for way too long.

Muffin said...

That's funny! This is the first time Chris has ever grown a beard! He used to tell me he couldn't even trow a 'stache! Boy, was he wrong! But, hey, I love the way it looks and I can't deny this card!!!! hee hee hee. Just think of how great it makes you look!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/65515263/behind-every-clever-girl-is-a-guy-with-a