Thursday, August 21, 2008

Way down deep in the deep blue sea

Our book and project today was the book Way Down Deep in the Deep blue sea...really cute book.

I am pretty proud of this project because I came up with it myself. I found a template for a fishbowl online (can't find the site right now but will look for it) and then cut out a hole in the middle. I washed a ziplock bag with water and then emptied it (just do you could get the water effect.) We cut out foam sea weed and fish and put it in the baggie. I then closed all but about an inch of the baggie. I blew a little bit of air in through the hole and closed it so that bag was puffy.



I then put a hole punch through both the foam fishbowl shape and the baggie once it was lined up just right and put a strong through it (because I am lame and don't have any yarn in my house! ) :)






So then you have a hanging fishbowl! Now, if my kids were older and had a longer attention span, I think it would be fun to do a fishbowl cutout for the other side too and then glue the sides together. And I think one thing I would do different next time is to let my kids draw the fish / sea creature shapes on the foam and then cut them out. This time I just cut some fish and they put the eyes on. But I would love to see what they come up with.


Overall, a super easy project that turned out really cute...I think. :)

16 comments:

Dina said...

Wow! That is such a good idea! I love that!

Ivy & Mae said...

that is really cute

Kemi said...

Creative project. Adorable results.

Have I told you lately how amazing you are?

Stephanie said...

That is adorable! Great project!

J & A Danes said...

Super cute! I wish I was half as creative as you are and had half of your patience. Glad to see you have stuck with the projects. I probably would have quit after the first day or two!

Our Little Family said...

WOW what a fun idea! Do you just find fun books at the library and then come up with cute crafts? We were just at the library today we will have to go back and find this book and make the cute project! What a fun mommy you are! I cant wait to see your next fun idea....

Melinda said...

Cute, cute craft! I'm so impressed by your creativity and use of books and crafts. Way to go!

jmholloway said...

You continually amaze me. I don't have the energy to do what you do with your kids. It makes me sad for my kids that they have such a lazy, bum mom. I will have to try a bit harder for them.

Mindi :)

Doug and Mallena said...

Very clever. Good job!

Abby and Greg Christiansen said...

Thats a way cool idea rachel. Way creative!

Sarah said...

I love this idea! Good job girl! Very cute and the book looks fun. I need to make a trip to the library it has been awhile for us. I love seeing these projects. It gives me some good ideas for when my kiddies get bigger. Thanks so much for sharing!

Michelle said...

How do you have time and energy to think of all this stuff?!?!? I usually just throw the crayons to my kids and let them have at it!

Turned out really cute!

AprilF said...

What a cute idea! Hope everyone liked it!

Malissa said...

You have so many cute ideas to do with your children. This looks so fun and it looks easy too. I may have to try it too. :)

The Wyler Family said...

fun. i've never seen this book. looks really cute. i'll have to check it out.

Jessica said...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY Cute! Way to be!