Sunday, August 10, 2008

A series of unfortunate events

It all started when I woke up from a dead sleep at 4:45 a.m. No reason...just eyes open, wide awake. I finally got back to sleep at about 6:45 a.m...and was really hoping I would just snooze for a few minutes and then hurry to get ready for church.

What REALLY happened was I slept until 8 A.M. Brandon was up with the kids and was letting me sleep, which was wonderful. But I was in a crazy hurry. Jumped in the shower, no time to shave the good ol' legs. Decided the nylons would cover it all up anyway. :) Got out--got ready. Realized a few things: Blowdryer is out of commission...nylons missing...chipped toenail polish peeking out the end of my open-toes sandals. Sometimes you just don't have time to look nice. Still made it to church before the end of the opening song. I say, a success!

The kids were pretty fidgety today, which made church feel long...all in all a good meeting though!

Remember our broken fridge? It is now empty and a balmy 65 degrees...useless for storage. Well, it just so happens that we had signed up to feed the missionaries this weekend. Remembering that yesterday I ran to the store and bought a frozen lasagna and some breadsticks. Easy things we could freeze and then pop in the oven. After church and feeding the kids frozen dinners for lunch, I slipped into a deep sleep. I vividly remember feeling like I HAD to wake myself up so I could start dinner. Somewhere in my dream I became convinced that it only took 40 minutes to cook a frozen lasagna.

Ever cooked a frozen lasagna?? I have...and it's NOT 40 minutes...

So imagine my surprise when Brandon woke me up at almost 4:00 p.m. I slept the ENTIRE afternoon...in fact, ALL of us did. With the missionaries coming at 5:00, I jumped up and started to get the dinner in the oven. I was so happy that the timing would work out PERFECT! "Let's see" I told myself,"put this in now, and it will have time to cook and then sit for a few minutes before they come." As I was throwing the box away, my eye caught a glimpse of a triple digit number that I was convinced COULDN'T be the bake time...

My heart sank. We have NO fridge...no fresh food...and at that point we had 52 minutes until company was coming.

I put the lasagna in the oven and grabbed one of Jenna's magic wands in hopes that somehow 125 minutes would turn into 45.

And then I got real...and I found backup. Taco soup anyone? Defrosted some meat in the micro and cooked the whole package, and then froze the cooked meat I didn't use. I just started throwing stuff in--and to be honest, it was pretty darn good! I would totally make it again (if I can only remember exactly what I put in there). I ran over to pick up my cheese and sour cream out of a friend's fridge (thanks Debbie!) and we were in business.

But the whole dinner we had this lasagna cooking, which made the kitchen unbearable to eat in...unfortunate event #37...rain. We don't have a lot of eat in space, so we only invite 4 missionaries to eat when we can eat outside. That was the plan. But as the storm came and the rain pounded down, we all squeezed around our little table to eat.

Looking back on the day, it is quite comical. It felt totally stressful at the time, but seeing one thing after another go crazily wrong, I just want to sit and laugh so hard!

Wow...another day down...and I have NEVER been so excited over an appliance as I am to have our fridge back in business tomorrow! That repairman will be my BEST FRIEND!

Happy Sunday...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had days with that kind of continual upset and I usually end up a little hysterical at the end of it... Just me. Anyway, hopefully the repairman is able to fix your fridge for you tomorrow. Have a good night!

campblondie said...

Yikes! Broken fridge= disaster.

Jenny and Travis said...

This just goes to show that you ARE a wiz homemaker! You are so good to have the missionaries over so often. They must love you! I'm sorry you had a poopy day, but glad you can look back on it now and laugh about it. Hey, and you got a lot of sleep, right? That's got to be a plus! --Jenny

Karen said...

Nice recovery, even though you had to eat in a hot kitchen:)

LHD said...

you impress me...i would have ordered pizza :)...and just said to heck with it...

Abby and Greg Christiansen said...

Wow- thats all I can say.

Sarah Evans said...

I do remember you...are you a photographer? What kind of camera do you have? I would love to talk photogarphy...you are amazing. I am just getting started and learning.

zealygirl said...

I always loved to draw your meals in meal swap; you are so creative and frugal and able to make tasty meals. Wow.

The life of Jayne said...

WOW, sounds like you had about the same kind of Sunday that we had- auhh, sometimes, it just gets a little crazy- I am impressed on your quick meal ideas, WOW, I would have just folded right then and brought out the pb&j-

Doug and Mallena said...

Good job! I'm impressed with how you were able to just whip something together. That's a sign of a true homemaker. I wish I could be one. :)

Kritta22 said...

that sounds like an adventure Sunday! You survived to tell about so you are ok!! :)
Look at you with your taco soup!!

Sarah said...

Girl you are amazing! To go without a fridge would be impossible for me. And then to come up with a meal so quickly. You totally rock. I could never do that. WOW! I am glad to hear your repair man came to fix it. I know you are happy.

Jessica said...

Bless you my sweet friend. Bless you!

{B}dreamy said...

Oh sheesh, that is all painfully hilarious! Hey, you're still alive, right? *B