Monday, August 18, 2008

A giveaway with a twist

I have been a full on blogaholic for a year and a half now...961 posts to be exact.

When I got started, I really knew nothing of blogging and just threw a name on there with a generic blogspot address. It has driven me crazy for a LONG time. But no matter how hard I try, I just CANNOT think of something clever.

Everything just sounds so lame. Some of you have cute names that you tie into your title, some of you have cute sayings...or random wordings that are just so fitting and funny.

But me...OUR LIFE.

LAME-O


I am working on a blog overhaul for my 1,000th post (like anyone really cares if I do this...and really, celebrating some glorified online scrapbook sounds totally crazy. But I am doing it anyway!) I want to start my next thousand posts with a new name. Something fun, fresh, exciting.

Okay, really just something other than...OUR LIFE. :)

When I told Brandon my idea, he insisted that I didn't need to give anything away. But that would be no fun. I am not so crafty, so that kind of giveaway was out. I thought about doing pictures for someone, but then the winner would have to be local. And to be honest, hardly anyone that I live by reads this blog. So, that's out. Pretty much brings me back to the beginning of all good ideas in life...ice cream.

SO, here's how this works. If you are reading this now, you probably are a regular reader of my blog. You know how I am, you know what I post. I am begging and pleading for ideas for how to sum it all up in a blog title.

Thinking caps on...

For each name you come up with, leave a comment. Hopefully someone will have the PERFECT name tucked away in the creative corner of their mind. But if not, It's important to do one name per comment because each comment will enter you into the second chance drawing. What's that?? :) If none of the names submitted suit my fancy, I will STILL draw pick a number for a winner. Each entry = another chance to win!

PRIZE?? A $10 gift certificate to COLDSTONE (or your choice of ice cream shop)

I will leave this contest open for ONE WEEK. So, next Monday (August 25) at 8:00 p.m. PST, contest will be closed and a winner announced.

So, let's hear it!

69 comments:

Unknown said...

Rachel, I am the girl from LaJolla so no worries about having a new embarrassing moment. :) You have a great blog and congrats on 5 year anniversary, and 3 cute kids.

And my idea for your blog is:
Holloway Happenings

Dina said...

HolloWays of Life...playing on "Ways"...sorry it's the best I have right now, but I will be thinking about it for the next week!

Janelle said...

That's the HolloWay Things Go!

(I'll be thinking of more)

Nicia said...

"The Hollo-way's to Say Hello!"

I know, it's really stretching it. I'll try to get more creative. Thanks a lot!!! (shaking my fist) Now this is going to be on my mind all day!!

Rachel Holloway said...

Keep in mind it can be anything...doesn't have to include my last name. Good ideas so far...I love hearing THEM ALL!

Mindy said...

Rachel's Ramblings

(not saying that you ramble... just trying to think of a good "r" word!)

p.s. If I happen to win the 2nd chance drawing (because I'm sure I won't be able to come up with a good name) I don't want a prize... it would just torture me, since I don't have a cold stone, or any other ice cream place!

Mindy said...

Real Life with Rachel

(I know I keep thinking of Rachel things... but this blog feels like your family's life... through the eyes of the mom, so I thought it fit.)

Mindy said...

Keepin it Real...
the HolloWAY!

Mindy said...

Holloway Family Ice Cream Scoop... a little taste of our sweet life.

oh wait, that's mine. ;)

Adventures in Motherhood... a Day at a Time (because you write just about every day)

A Mom and Her Thoughts... a Comment a Day Keeps the Blues Away!



(I'm putting more than one, because I realized that I don't want the prize from the drawing, and that was your reason to put them in separate posts!)

zealygirl said...

Snapshot: Capturing the moments, treasuring the memories.

I'll keep working on it; I like ice cream!

Jenny and Travis said...

Wow, there have already been some GREAT ideas. But, here's my two cents for now anyway:
The Hopes, Happenings, and Heart of the Holloways.
Making memories--one day at a time.
I'm sure you'll find a great new idea out of all of those on here. Congrats on nearing your 1,000th post! --Jenny
P.S. I really like "A mom/woman and her thoughts" since that seems to fit well with the theme of your blog that we had previously talked about. Maybe, "The Thoughts of a Modern-day Mom/Woman" too?

Jenny and Travis said...

Or, "The Musings of a Modern-day Mom."

Kemi said...

Can I vote for Mindy's? :)

(I really like "Keepin' it real... the HolloWAY!")

Ivy & Mae said...

A Mother's Diary

Because really a lot of your posts are the perfect read for mothers--

but I dunno.

I'm sure you'll come up with something nice.

Katy said...

I NEVER pass up the chance for ice cream- that would be criminal! Ok, here's my entry:


"It's Just On the Tip of My Tongue..."


(I always think this exact phrase when I am blogging... but it works for me better than you since you're a lot more "reader-friendly" than I am!!)

I'll try to think of at least one more... but it's all coming out in French right now! You've got a ton of great ones to choose from.. i don't envy that job!

Carly said...

"the things that matter most" or something like that-- your blog is always about the best things in life!

and i'm allergic to ice cream, darned lactose, so if i win you can give it to someone else :)

AprilF said...

Mamas musings.

I was TOTALLY thinking Rachel's Ramblings (and for the same reason as the pp ;))

AprilF said...

A day in the life of a doctors wife.

Oh man. I should just delete that one now. LOL!!

AprilF said...

A great life is not a perfect life.

Ummm... what. I don't know where these are coming from. Ha! Atleast I'M in the drawing, right??

AprilF said...

Read it and leave it.

Read the blog and leave a comment. But that could come across and read the blog and Leave. Ahahahaha. I stink at this game. I'll stop now!

jmholloway said...

Hope Heaven and Happiness of the Holloways: The Epilogue of a Burned out wife, psychotic husband, and 3 hyper-active children


Jason's contribution, Sorry!

jmholloway said...

Holloway Heaven

jmholloway said...

Hanging in the Cave: Tales from Batman's wife


Jason

jmholloway said...

That's one way to look at it.

Jason

jmholloway said...

Giggles, Wiggles and Fun

Abby and Greg Christiansen said...

Oh just thought of another one. You could do Our family fun since you are always doing such fun things together.

Abby and Greg Christiansen said...

huh for some reason one of my earlier comments didn't show up but I suggested meetthe Holloways

AprilF said...

jmholloway is trying to stack the box!! I'm going to have to think of more.

picture perfect

jmholloway said...

Reflections of life--a glimpse into Heaven.

jmholloway said...

If words could express the things that I see-- I'd write with the sunset the thoughts of my dreams.

Jason

ps my favorite so far is the Snapshot one. Great for you I think.

Mindi :)

Charlotte said...

And to think that it happened on Holloway Street...

(Ever read the Dr. Suess book? Only his is Mulberry street...)

Charlotte said...

Life is like a box of Chocolates...

Charlotte said...

I have to admit I really like the Snapshot one too... darn it. I sure like ice cream.

Here's my last attempt:

Daily Treasures

Kristin and Jay said...

We might not have it all together, but together we have it all!


I know, I know, I've heard that one a million times too =)

Kristin and Jay said...

A Day in the Life of a Professional Mom......diapers, boogers, tantrums.....and I wouldn't have it any other way.



Hmmm....not very good at this game am I? That one took 10 minutes...I'm not very creative =) Good luck!

Camille said...

Ok, I think I am automatically disqualifying myself, but I really like your original, "Our Life." It is simple. It is short. Easy to remember. Can't you just see blog posts everywhere saying, "Go Check out Rachel at Our life, she has the coolest thing today....etc." I think it has to be somewhat short.
If you absolutely must change it, I would suggest, maybe toying with the word "holiday" and Holloway.
happy Holloway's
....hmm,sounds better in my imagination...

Janelle said...

"But I Digress..."

Who hasn't used this phrase (and loved it)? You often tend to address multiple themes, so this might work.

Janelle said...

A play on your last name that doesn't really work but gets me an extra entry in the 2nd chance drawing:

"Hollow but not Empty" or "Hollow bu not Shallow"

Kathy Whittle said...

Wow, a 1000th post! That's awesome.

Our Life: Living, Loving, Laughing a Day at a Time

I'm not creative in the least, but you do all of these so well.

Randee Mecham said...

wow can these people come up with a new blog name for me!! My favorite is "Keepin it Real the HolloWAY!"
I am so crappy at this kind of stuff that is why my blog has no title!
My suggestion is
"Our Life in pictures" that way you can keep the Our life part.

Lisa said...

oh my gosh - my first idea was taken by your first commenter - wheat family and "Holloway Happenings!"

Ok, second idea is:
Holloway Heaven

Lisa said...

Um, just saw that one was taken also!

Holloway's Haven

Lisa said...

Life: One day at a Time

you DO post every day!

Lisa said...

Living, Laughing, and Loving

Holly and Steve said...

K so I don't have one yet for you but I am thinking about it. I just wanted to say thank you for being such a nice friend. Thank you for the compliment on my hair on Sunday. You're so sweet. Believe it or not it made my day a whole lot better. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for being so sweet.:)

Holly

The Two of Us!! said...

I vote that you keep "Our Life"!! Because that IS what your blog is all about!!
I'm gonna try to think of more though, anyway....I LOVE ice cream!!

Jackie
~your e-mail pal from the library
and blogger apprentice!

The Two of Us!! said...

OOPS!! I forget to mention that perhaps the only wording I would vote to add or change to is

"It's the little things that count!"

I say that for two reasons.
1 - Because most of what you say and do is about your own "little ones"
2 - Because you pay such close attention to every little detail!!
You even made your van a part of the family by celebrating (and photographing) it's 40,000 mile mark!!

Jackie

Nicia said...

I was trying to think of something that had to do with 5, since there are 5 people in your family, but all I was coming up with was "The High 5"....and that could just totally be take the wrong way.

Nicia said...

Hearing the Holloways

Nicia said...

"Here in the Holloway Home"

Janelle said...

Life...the Holloway

When you pick a new name for your blog, you'll want to consider what you're trying to do with the name and with your blog. Are you trying to get more notoriety outside of your existing circle? If so, then you'll want to avoid blog titles that have words like "ramblings," "musings," "rants," or "happenings," or any variation of the word "mom." A lot of people use similar phraseology, so unless you can come up with a really clever and unique way of using it, they won't set you apart. If you're just going for something catchier than "Our Life" and aren't necessarily trying to set yourself apart from every other blogger out there, then go ahead and use them.

Katy said...

ok, i'm STILL thinking in French,


"c'est la vie!"

Jenny and Travis said...

how about "Holloways - Masters of the Universe!" i bet Brandon would vote for it...
- travis

Lisa said...

Happiness is the Holloways

Jill said...

I'm totally lame. The late night will be my excuse. Here are my ideas:

"Run for your life." (There is no particular reason behind this. It literally just popped in my head. Interpret as you wish!)

"Did You Think To Pray.... for sanity?"

"If You're Happy & You Know It Write a Blog"

My personal fav: "HOLLA! We're the Holloways!"

Ugh. I'm no help. This is my desperate attempt to win some ice cream!!

Sarah said...

Here's our contribution:
'
Picture This

Good Luck!!!

Sarah said...

Or a little different variation:

So Picture This...

Kritta22 said...

I wanna change up my name too so if you have any ideas you wanna throw my way...I'll help with yours.

Happy Holloways

Kritta22 said...

Or

Holloway's to love our life

or kids or new appliances.

(Like All the ways to love our life)

Kritta22 said...

Something with your picture a day... umm...I'll think on that one.

Rachel's Ranch
wranglering up kids and a doctor!

Oh and your picture cuz be your honey's bum in Wranglers ...

zealygirl said...

creative impact: where the forces of life combine

Caitlin said...

Happy Happenings with the Holloways....or something like that!

Malissa said...

This is a fun giveaway. I wish I could help. I had the hardest time coming up with my blog name. I am not very creative on my own. You do have some fun suggestions. Good luck and I will post any if I think of them.

zealygirl said...

Legacy of My Life

Doug and Mallena said...

I'm sorry, I don't have any ideas, but I wanted you to know I read this post and thought it was a fun idea. Good luck, and no, I don't expect to be in the drawing just because I posted. :)

Alan J said...

A Holloway A Day - in honor of your regular picture a day posts.

The Two of Us!! said...

MAGIC MOMENTS

Ordinary moments....
....magical memories

Beacause you DO take the most ordianry moments and find the magic in them!!

PS
If one of my entries is the "winner", I will only accept the ice cream gift card IN PERSON - AT the ice cream store, so that we can share the yum and finally chat in person!

jmholloway said...

SO, my new favorite is

Picture This

I LOVE it. She should win!

Mindi :)

Jessie said...

Life's Raspberries with a little Cream n' Sugar.

You could use "Life's Peachy" or "Life's Strawberry's" which ever fits your fancy.

Can't wait to hear what you pick, you have been given some great ideas.