Thursday, August 21, 2008

The children were nestled all snug in their beds...

...While visions of an in-control, soft-spoken, fun-loving mom danced in their heads...

I don't know why, but a couple hours of good, solid NAP make such a difference. For me AND the kids. It isn't that I am even taking the nap--wish I was. But just having the peace and solitude for a couple hours is heaven. I feel so much better and ready to face the rest of the day. I feel like a better mom...and better person in general.

Naptime helps me feel like I am no longer so tightly wound that I could pop any second. It gives a break from the crying, whining, CONSTANTLY needing EVERYTHING something from me. And even though I am tired, I feel refocused and ready for a fresh start.

And I sound so lame admitting this, but naptime is my saving grace many days. When I just can't take "life" anymore, I can count down to the time when I get to tuck the kiddos in bed and steal away a few hours for me.

Today, I am grateful for naptime. And today, I am especially grateful that if I wake the kids up after 2 1/2 hours of silent napping, they will still be in bed at 7:30 p.m...and we get to spend the other 3 1/2 hours of our day running through sprinklers, reading stories, sipping snowcones, laughing, eating outside in the sunshine, and ending the day with a nice warm bubble bath.

Nothing like a couple hours of quiet to really clear off the windshield of my ride through life.

18 comments:

Caitlin said...

i know how you feel...kinda. I know i only have one baby so it's not nearly as chaotic but when she naps, i feel like i can take a shower, do my hair, scrapbook, or whatever and not feel guilty!

Jill said...

A. MEN. If Jenna doesn't take a nap or wakes up too early from a nap, I feel like the whole day is down the drain and my motivation to do anything goes out the window. Nap time is ESSENTIAL for both of us, just like you said. P.S. This isn't fully developed yet but what about playing on HAUL away for blog title? I'll have to think about it some more. Good thing it's naptime.

Kritta22 said...

Umm...I'm totally with ya...Naps are more for mom's than for the kids!! I would and do go crazy when Connor doesn't nap!

Nicia said...

That's not lame at all! Whenever my mother in law calls me up during the day she always asks if I'm having my "me time." Meaning...Alyssa's naptime! And when she does, she usually says she'll call me back so I can enjoy it! :) Of course, I love her and want to talk to her all the time, but my point is that she even recognizes the importance our kids naptime is for us mothers! Don't worry Rachel, you are SO not alone! In face, I am enjoying my me time right now! :)

Our Little Family said...

I don't think we could all function with out nap time! Spencer is 3 1/2 and is starting to fight me on napping but I really hope we can make it through this phase!
So in response to not calling; the kids were ... NAPPING on Sunday and BJ says lets call the Holloways! Do you have their phone number? I thought he had it he thought I had it, and neither of us had it! SO SORRY! Maybe you could email me your number and we could chat!
AND.... about the blog, I just started yesterday and would love LOVE some advice! Talk to you soon! Hopefully during nap time!

The Wyler Family said...

i don't even know how to relate, but i'm so happy for you! :)

Melinda said...

Jealous thoughts from WI. I'm still just trying to get 'normal' health back and catch up on what slid while I was REALLY bad. Evie's lack-of-nap today was hard, but hearing that YOUR kids are 'snug in their beds' is just NOT FAIR.

P.S. Congratulations on their napping and your relaxing. I'm really already over it and just wishing for that time you've just had.

Sarah Evans said...

I need your e-mail address again. I sent you a message, but I think it may be an old address. Just let me know so we can talk photography.

Sarah said...

I am not lucky enough to have my babies nap. But it is my choice I usually stop naps at a year then I can put them to bed as early as 6:00 so I can't complain. They do have quiet time though so I can at least watch a T.V. show and have lunch without sharing. LOL But I feel the same as you when I tuck mine into bed for the night.

You don't sound lame by the way you just sound like the mother of three.

KAMBRIA and MATT said...

Naptime is what gets us through life as a mom. Naps are as much for the kids as they are for us.

zealygirl said...

Amen to that! Naps are the best for the WHOLE family! Nice work!

Stephanie said...

I don't think you're lame for feeling or admitting that naps are important to you. I don't know what I would do without Thomas' naps either. And Zaylee occasionally will take naps as well (I know I said no more naps, but as long as they're earlier in the day, they don't seem to keep her up much later). It's so important and sanity-saving to have that break from the constant demands of life with kids!

princess jen said...

Way to enjoy naptime. I'm always bummed when naps don't work out quite right. It makes my "job" that much more difficult. I'm in awe how you manage to keep your temper. I need to do a better job of that.

Michelle said...

Oren and Nathan both dropped naps pretty much cold turkey at 2. They only took 1 hour naps anyway. William still takes 2-3 hours if I let him, if I don't have to wake him up to go somewhere. Here's hoping he will take naps for a while yet, I am not ready to give up that "me" time!

Kathy Whittle said...

I'm with you - my kids ALWAYS took naps. Emily actually slept during nap time until she was almost 5! Even when they didn't sleep anymore, they still had rest time, not so much because they needed it, but because I needed it!

Andrea said...

I feel you on that one. I live for the naps...which sadly rarely come with my boys as they are growing older. Thanks for the invite back into the blogging world. I needed it...a sad and gloomy blogging slump had rested upon me. Nice to be back!

Doug and Mallena said...

I REALLY wish my kids took naps!

Marnie said...

Rachel, I am right there with ya babe! I too love, love, love naptime! The saddest thing is that recently my three-year old has decided that she is finishest with naps. We're in that transition time when she toally needs one, but refuses. Sob, hiccup, sniffle...just will have to figure out a way to get her excited about "quiet time" now I suppose.