Sunday, August 3, 2008

All better...

The day has been much better...even though it started at 4:30 a.m. because I got up with Spencer for about 2 minutes and then HE went back to sleep but I couldn't. :) Doesn't it always work that way??

We had a pretty relaxing Sunday--I even took a nap. I would say I would regret this (like I have in the past) but I have been SO exhausted trying to get myself back on schedule from my cross country trip that I will WELCOME sleep tonight.

We had some friends over on a last minute invitation--(I don't know WHY we didn't think to plan something earlier) and ate grilled Flank Steak with Corn and Red pepper quesadillas...a meal I absolutely LOVE because every single part of it is cooked on the grill. And with the weather we have had, it is WAY too nice to turn an oven on! For dessert we had a PB Candy cake (that's not really a cake...) that was SOOO yummy. Yes, my recipe blog is getting some much needed attention. I have totally slacked in that department this summer, but I think I am back on track. Feel free to check it out...http://excellenteats.blogspot.com/

It is so weird to think that school is starting again tomorrow. You know, we decided that things would be ALL BETTER if we had an endless supply of cash and Brandon could stay home with us every day as we travel the country relaxing and spend all sorts of time together.

But, clearly that isn't realistic. So, we'll settle for the good education part--missing him terribly when he is away--and look forward to every spare minute we have with him.

I have been thinking a lot about my fears and stress over Brandon going back to school. I had a flashback to when I was about to have Spencer and was trying to cram everything in before he was born because I was JUST SURE we would never leave the house once I had 3 kids. I was SURE I wouldn't be able to handle it and that I would be completely overwhelmed.

Don't get me wrong...I DO feel overwhelmed sometimes. And it DOES take 15 minutes and 6 loads to get everyone and everything in the car. But we have gone and done and seen far more things than I EVER would have imagined when I was 9 months pregnant and set my mind to sitting inside our house for the next 4 years while Brandon got his education.

I think sometimes I let my fears get the best of me...okay, I think sometimes I let me fears get ALL of me.

Why? Why do we underestimate ourselves so often? Why do we question our ability to do great things?

I know school will start tomorrow...life will go on...we will have good days, bad days, exciting days, rough days. But most of all I know that we will do great things and be better people than we were before. Why? Because we will be setting aside that fear and going forth with a LOT of faith. And when I look back in another year and see how fast the time has flown by, I know I will feel like I do now...that we have somehow achieved more than I ever could have relying on my own abilities. I am thankful today for a God that loves us and cares for us--who gives us strength in the times we need it the most.

Happy Sunday...

14 comments:

Stephanie said...

I admire that you have been able to get out so much with your three kids. You are handling Brandon's schooling really well. I also feared that I wouldn't get out with kids. My problem is that I don't. My city just doesn't have as much cool stuff around as yours! :-)

jmholloway said...

I love you, Rachel! Thank you for being you and sharing so much of yourself with others.

Mindi :)

Kemi said...

(I should have checked this post for the recipe before begging for it on your picture post. I'm impulsive. What can I say?)

Our Relief Society lesson today was about grace, and what it means. I've heard it used a million times, but I never really understood its meaning before today. (Thanks, Bible Dictionary.) Grace is the divine power you are granted by Heavenly Father after you've given your best effort.

Your comments about never leaving the house reminded me of this. I know that you're being blessed for your efforts. I am so amazed by what you do, and the cheerful way you do it. I think you are an amazing mother and wife, and every time I read your postings, I wish that I were more like you.

You are amazing!

Kritta22 said...

I'm so glad you had a better day today!
I think you are a superstar for even getting dressed. Everything on top of that is sprinkles!

Esther said...

I feel like I have been trying to cram everything in too before Hannah is born. I have been told that doing anything is going to be so much harder and I won't be able to do much with a baby. We certainly have done enough stuff to compensate but I still want to do things. I guess with each child it gets more difficult but it is still possible. I actually was going to call you up and see if you had updated your recipe blog. I have been wanting ideas for things to freeze for when the baby comes. I am loving the PB cake. yumm.

Nicia said...

Thanks for the insight. I always love hearing what you're thinking. (Oh, and I totally didn't take offense to your comment!! I was laughing sooo hard, actually with your "walking drinking fountain" comment. Cracked me up! So, thanks!!)

Anonymous said...

Good luck starting school tomorrow-both of you! One day at a time...

Andrea said...

Thanks for the post. I hate to watch my fears control me. You are doing such a GOOD job of overcoming them. I am rarely brave enough to take my two on outings - I'm inspired now to do more!

The Wyler Family said...

i'm happy you had such a good day. that dessert looks amazing! i'm going to have to make it. let's go adventuring soon!

Camille said...

My brother JUST finally finished up their long road in med- school- and it will pay off....literally & figuratively. You are amazing. You and your family do more in a week than most do in months.... i really don't leave the house often- but that is by choice. I really should follow your example- my house would stay cleaner 'cuz we would be gone & my kids would learn so much!

Doug and Mallena said...

I hope Brandon had a good first day back. These days are always hard, but at least the sooner they start, the sooner the semester will be over and you'll have another break. After a few of those you'll be done with school and making money. Then you can REALLY plan for his days off.

Sean said...

Oh I really needed this post becasue I was feeling so much like you were feeling. I was worrying and fretting over the future, and then remembering the past. It's been hard and wonderful and beautiful and rough and so many other things. And yet we've become so much more that I ever thought we would because of the Lord's influnce in our lives. It takes the edge off of my fear, and if I really really work at it, it can take it away completely :)

Ivy & Mae said...

Good luck with managing a husband-in-school again! I only had 1 kid when Paul was in law school and I just got used to doing everything by myself--3 would be a challenge, but I think you rise to it.

Just thinking about having a 3 child freaks me out!

Malissa said...

So glad that your day was better. I hope that with your husband starting shool, that things go well for you. I know what it is like having 3 children and doing it by yourself.

You PB desert looks really good. I am going to have to try it! :)